laptop over-heating

gib65

Baseband Member
I have a very strange problem with my laptop and I'm wondering of someone can help me.

It seems to be over-heating a lot lately, and sometimes to the point of spontaneously shutting down. This can happen if I have as few as one application open at a time, even if that application is sitting idle. I can tell by the way the fan keeps kicking into high gear. It revs like crazy.

One very strange thing I've noticed is that it usually occurs when I have internet explorer open. In fact, the fan calms down significantly if I open notepad and start working in that even if internet explorer is still open in the background. But as soon as I go back to internet explorer, the fan kicks in again.

A few things I've considered:

* My power cable is partly damaged. There is a spot where the metal fibres are exposed and a few of them are severed. This made me think that maybe the computer has to suck more power through the other fibres that are still intact and this higher rate of power might be causing some over-heating. I don't have a battery, so I can't really test this one out.

* My computer's insides might need some cleaning. There might be a lot of dust build up, and some of it might be clogging up the ventilation. This is something I can check myself (and I will), but I'd still appreciate some feedback if you have other suggestions.

* I had a virus on my computer a while back and I thought I got rid of it until recently. I recently found that it is still there. I'm wondering if its causing my CPU to be overworked with unnecessary (and malicious) programs that are running unnoticed.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thank you.

It is common for notebook computers to acquire dust and/or lint on heat sink surfaces, and yes this could be why your notebook is overheating. It is also possible that a virus is causing the CPU to work more than it should adding to the heat generated. You should, of course, remove any virus from your computer. If you can, check the heat sinks for dust or lint build up. You can usually see them through cooling vents in notebook computers. One thing that I find helps a great deal is using notebook cooler. You can usually get them for under $30 and most do a good job of keeping a notebook computer much cooler.

You might want to get a new cord clean the insides of your computer and get a lap desk they give good ventallation and keep the dust out of your compute i am using mine now i got mine at target for $20.00

i would think it is unlikely about the power cable but i am not sure. definately get a new cable anyway because of that is a live cable and someone touches it... things could happen. if you can get hold if a power cable, at least get some electrical insulating tape make sure the cables arent going to short ot and put the tape over it to stop electric shocks
hope this helps a tiny bit

Back
Top Bottom