Problem with RAM upgrade

ravyn66

Beta member
I have a Toshiba Satellite M70 laptop that has 2x512MB sticks of DDR2 5300. I brought the computer to have the DC jack fixed and when I got it back I was getting nothing but errors from the ram, turns out a broken one was put back in, not the one I had. It runs fine off just the 1 working stick. Anyway I wanted to upgrade the ram to 2x1024mb sticks so i can run Win 7. I got 1 stick of the DDR2 5300 (store only had 1) and it will not boot. I get to the screen to load the bios or select boot device and it hangs there, I can't even get in to the bios. It's bascially acting like there's no ram installed at all. I put the 512 stick back in and the laptop runs like normal. Now the 2 sticks are the same except the size and since the 512 doesn't need to be paired I don't see that as the issue with the 1024. I've tried booting with the 1024 in both slots with and without the 512 paired with it, each time just get to the same spot and hang there. Could it be that I got a bad stick or is there something I'm missing?

If the machine works fine with the 512 card but will not if you introduce the new memory card (either on it's own or paired with the 512), then clearly there is an incompatibility between your machine and the product you have purchased - whatever that product is. Basically I believe you have a problem because you have installed the wrong product.

I assume you have checked the maximum Ram upgrade your machine can take and have you checked the Toshiba recommendations for Ram upgrades on your model laptop.

For Toshiba laptop computers I favour Kingston branded products and if you use these you should not have a problem provided you select the correct "laptop memory" product for your machine.
For example:
Newegg.com - Kingston 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory Model KVR667D2SO/1GR

Well thank you for the answer. To add a little to my problem here is what the scan at crucial says

Currently installed memory:

512MB

EMPTY

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

Now what it recommends

1GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module

CT492912

• Module Size: 1GB
  • Package: 200-pin SODIMM
  • Feature: DDR2 PC2-5300
  • Specs: DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 •
This is what I bought, the stores have a crappy selection around here.
Believe me if I could find another brand I would have but after 4 stores and this staples being the only one with the right type I gave up and bought it.

Newegg.com, they'll help you out.

Download Memtest and run it. There's got to be something wrong with that 1gb stick. It's the right type, so I don't think it's a compatibility issue. You said both slots are working so it's not a motherboard issue. Put the 512 and the 1gb stick in there, run a mem test, and see what pops up.

Problem is I can't boot up with the 1GB stick in it at all. It'll hang at the RAM test at the post when I have either the 1GB or both. The RAM test come up as
512 + 1GB - 256M System RAM Passed
1GB - 256M System RAM Passed
512 - 447M System RAM Passed
I've also tried changing the slots they're in as well.

With the 512 + 1GB and the 1GB config. I can't even get into the bios. With just the 512 everything is fine.
I've already run the MemTest, that's how I found out about the other 512 stick that I got back from the computer shop, it kept dropping everything that went through it. So running that with the 1GB stick in the computer is out of the question, no matter how I try it it just won't boot.

Buddy, IMHO you are not going to get anywhere persisting with that dodgy piece of hardware. It's bleeding obvious what you need to do now.

That new stick you bought could have been bad too. Personally I'd just return it and get something off of newegg.

Also, it might just be that your laptop needs a BIOS update to fully support the 1gig sticks.

Back
Top Bottom