Hardware Issue.. Possibly.

Slav316

Beta member
I have a problem and I could use some help seeing how the places I took my PC weren't able to resolve anything.

I recently upgraded my motherboard, processor and ram. The upgrades are:
- Motherboard: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard.
- Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core.
- Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666).

Now the problem I have is that my rig will randomly freeze. Doesn't matter if I'm watching a video, or streaming music, or just plugging in my external HDD. It will lock up and speakers will keep buzzing.

It has been going in and out of computer shops for the past month, and some issues have been resolved, but the freezing one keeps happening.

If anyone has any ideas what could be causing this issue, or how to resolve it, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'd start off by checking your memory out-- get a copy of memtest86+ (available on nearly any linux live disk) and let it run for a good day or so. If you have any failures, then you have a RAM issue-- either a bad stick, an improperly installed stick, or a memory manager issue.

When it hangs up, how long does it last? Do you have to restart the computer in order to get it to free up? No bluescreen or anything like that right?

So you're saying you can turn on your computer, try to do something, and it will hang right then. Or does it have to be on for a while? And what are the specs of your PSU?

I would also like to know the OS you're running.

Sorry for so many questions... but it will help narrow this down.

Why did you upgarde in the first place? Was it due to things running slow and freezing in the first place? Or.. just because you wanted something better ;) If it was doing it before.. it could be your hard drive. You have the same video card too, maybe try and update the drivers.

I'm assuming you reinstalled Windows when you got all the new parts.... right?

Here is my power supply:
Newegg.ca - APEVIA ATX-AQ700W-BK 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

I upgraded because my old motherboard was dying after 5 years, so I upgraded the ram and processor too since they were old as well.

Windows has been re-installed with the new parts. I'm running Windows7 Home Premium,and the video card drivers have been updated as well.

The freezing seems to happen mostly when I am streaming from the net, or if I plug in my external HDD. It has frozen a few times while working in the Adobe Suite as well.

As for freeing it up, yeah I have to restart in order to get it to free up.

Now, another old problem seems to have returned this morning. Ever since I got the new mobo, my pc has been randomly getting the blue screen of death when I am connected to the net. The error I get is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL... and the error code starts with tcpip.sys. Which I have been told is network related. I have exchanged the mobo because one of the shops I took it to told me it was the network card on it, but it is still happening.

Here is the strange part about that. I have been running it for about 4 days connected to the net without problems, and last night I noticed that my PC Tools Spyware Doctor was not turned on. So I turned it on and this morning it blue screened again. Do you think that could be causing it?

I will upload the full error message later today, I have to go to class.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Back
Top Bottom