Strange Issues with New Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS

Froz3nPANDA

Beta member
Please bear with me, as I don't know much about computers, especially hardware business. Anything I seem to know is thanks to Google :)
I bought a new video card a week ago from tigerdirect.com, a Sparkle Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS, PCI. I received and began installing it on Wednesday, and have been running into many issues ever since.
Sparkle GeForce 8400 GS Video Card - 512MB DDR2, PCI, DVI, VGA, S-Video at TigerDirect.com
The packaging and stickers make it seem as if I have a PCI express card, along with the thorough manual from the Sparkle website, so I'm finding it rather difficult to find the issue as to why this card will not work. I can't do much with Sparkle's tech support, because it's asking me to my "Motherboard Model No.," which I honestly can't find for the life of me. So, I'm resorting to forums where you computer-savvy geniuses will hopefully help me figure out the problem :)
I have no video. So I keep having to revert back to the motherboard's internal graphics, where I'll fiddle with the device manager, maybe delete or install a few things here and there, look up stuff on the Internet, and see if the video on my new card will work. I will not have video, and so the cycle will begin again.
However! There was ONE miraculous time in which I DID get video! It was bizarre, I had turned off the computer, switched to the new card, turned it back on to find that the monitor would not wake up with the computer, and put my head down in exasperation. Next thing I know, there was color--I could see my background! For some reason it seemed to turn on after a while, after the computer finished booting up. I have no idea if that all along I simply had to be patient and wait for the computer to load, but at the moment I did not think too much about it. I played the Sims 3 with great, smooth graphics for a couple hours, the shut down the computer and went to bed. I found it a bit odd that my only option was to shut it down, no restart or stand by modes, but it was whatever.
The next day I came home to my grandma complaining that she couldn't play feecell, and found that after waiting for the computer to load, only the background appeared: no start menu or icons. I could still right-click and create shortcuts, but if I tried going into properties or something, no window would appear. Back to motherboard graphics :(
I spent all day running scans with Malwarebytes, Avira, and Spybot S&D. Fixed trhe issues, uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it, and prayed for some luck. But wtf? Now I get NO video!?! How could this be!?! Unfortunately, loading does not do the trick anymore, because I get absolutely no video whatsoever on that video card.
I'm completely stumped. Any suggestions? Here are some tech specs, I honestly don't have much of a clue as to what to put there...
Dell Dimension 2400
Windows XP
1 GB RAM (PC 2100 DDR)
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40Ghz

From what you are describing I'm thinking two things. 1 is that the power supply in you Dell is not powerful enough for the card. It's a slim chance but it's worth looking at the wattage and amps listed on the power supply to make sure it's good. If that isn't the case, I'd be willing to be it's just a bad card and exchange it through tiger direct.

Back
Top Bottom