Can't update Windows XP - Can't restore to an earlier date...

ozboz

Solid State Member
:confused:When I try and update Windows, I keep getting a message that I will need Administrator Privileges - even though I am definitely logged in as the administrator.
I'm running a PC with plenty of RAM and hard drive space, using Windows XP and I have Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer (7) browser programs.
I have tried with the antivirus and Firewall turned off (no beneficial effect).
I assumed I had some sort of virus but neither Malware Bytes or Comodo show anything. I then tried to restore to an earlier date. After much clicking and whirring, the computer gave a message that the Restore hadn't occurred and no changes had been made.
Other programs seem to be running normally - but without updates, the risk of getting malware is high - besides, I'm worried about not being able to restore to an earlier date.
Is there any kind person out there, who may be able to help me?
Thank you in advance.
Ian (Australia):confused:

I have had limited experience with your problem, but what you have there is a glitch. Take your windows XP installation disk and repair your XP installation. You can find instructions here:How-to repair Windows XP
Don't worry it wont delete any data, just follow the instructions.

I recall trying to do a repair using the installation disk, some years ago. From memory, I got a message saying something like -"Please insert the repair diskette" or something similar. I didn't have such a disk, so I didn't proceed with the repair.

I'll give this repair a go on Monday (I'm away from the offending computer this weekend). Could I trouble you for the repair steps?

I've got three Wndows installation CD's - all from different computers - do I have to use the specific disk that came with the computer or will any do?
Thanks very much for the reply to my post.
Ian
:)

Back
Top Bottom