Thinking of getting this card (Geforce GT430)

mikee

Fully Optimized
As some of you may know from a while ago I stated that my computer would randomly start giving me all sorts of artifacts on my screen randomly but would clear up after a restart. Well now after I restart the problem comes back after only 20 minutes on average so I am thinking of just replacing my video card with this.

Galaxy 43GGS8HX3SPZ GeForce GT 430 Video Card - 1024MB GDDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, DVI, HDMI, VGA DirectX 11 at TigerDirect.com

What I want to know is will this card give me better performance in GTA 4 Crysis, Far cry 2 etc. I mean I know it will but will it be an increase I will notice? I just want to get something to tie me over until next year when I plan to build a while new rig. All other cards I looked at needed at least a 500w psu so I don't want to upgrade both the psu and gfx card then just go and build a new rig.

Also I noticed in the user reviews that someone replaced a gtx 280 with this as an "upgrade" since the 280 sounded like a jet taking off. Is this person crazy or is this better than a gtx 280?

this card will do better than what you have now for sure. not sure thou if you'll get max'd our details or not.

the particular chip is a good one, although i've never heard of the brand 'Galaxy', but many it's just because im english, we dont get most of your brands here unfortunately.

i'd do more research on the brand though imo.

i'm an ATI guy and ive only got personal experience with Sapphire, but i hear EVGA and ASUS make some good cards too. And the other problem, with a PSU limitation like that, you probably wont be able to get a card that will max settings on the games you mentioned. Also, a PSU upgrade is probably the easiest upgrade in terms of hardwre that one can do. No drivers or settings need to be downloaded or set, all you need to do is stick it in and plug it in.

I have a build with a GTS450 OC'ed in it. Crysis is playable at 40FPS Average, 0 or 2x AA and high settings. I don't think the GT430 will be a very good performer. You would be able to play, but with your settings turned right down. Expect the same in GTA with high settings (especially shadows and AA), you'll have to turn it down a bit for it to be playable.

On the other hand, I imagine FC2 would be okay.

edit: this would be so, so much better. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6807947&CatId=1558

I know how to upgrade the psu but I am just strapped for cash and have about a 150$ budget I am willing to spend right now. If I could work a good psu and good gfx card into that then I will but I don't want to dump too much money into this rig since it is getting on in age. is there a better card in that price range that will run on a 400 watt psu? or a psu and good card that fit into a 150$ budget?

^^That looks good! I hope the fact that it is a double slot card doesn't block any of my other cards below the video card. I'm going to look for it on the us site too since I won't be back in Canada until the end of June.

That card would probably be something I would transfer into a new rig for a while so I don't end up doing what I did with this one where I was forced to run the integrated graphics for a few months due to running out of money in my build budget.

Back
Top Bottom