Project GhettoBook (23 inch laptop)

Okay, update time. These pics were taken with a POS $25 olympus camera, so any pieces that look warped actually aren't.

The palmrest. I haven't cut any of the keyboard/mouse/button holes in it yet.

P3240541.jpg

Random bits #1. These pieces are (top to bottom): Bottom of battery holder, spare piece, front/bottom of laptop, triangle for back of lid.

P3240542.jpg

Random bits #2. (from top to bottom): Triangle #2 for back of lid, front of laptop, back of battery holder, top of battery holder

P3240543.jpg

Random bits #3. Top row (left to right): right side of battery holder, triangles for battery holder, left side of battery holder. Underneath them are the left and right sides of the laptop. Note that I have not cut any of the port holes yet, and I still need to cut the front point into them.

P3240544.jpg

close up of the beveling.

P3240545.jpg

I'll post more pics tonight or tomorrow when I finish sanding. This is taking a lot longer than I thought.

-Everything about computers, weather building or whatever, always takes longer than you think it should, hence it took half a year to install windows xp on my gramps comp to find out we cant return the mobo.... and that hp's really hate geforce 4 series... and 6200 series.... and most other geforces.... and some radeons.... but likes my 9600 pro...lol....and that heatsinks are a pain in the *** to clean...... and i think im finished with complaining.....maybe.... nice work, lol, pictures are actually awesome compared to easy-f**k, doesnt even stand to a S40 though...

so, 32 batteries and only 6 hours, how that possible?

Sorry for no update yesterday. I had a headache and couldn't be bothered to work on this. Anyway, I've been at it tonight. I got about 50% of the sanding done, and I made a mockup of the bottom section. I would've done the lid as well, but this ended up using every roll of tape I owned. It's virtually impossible to get anything to stick to that plastic.

Picture time.

P1064030.jpg

P1064029.jpg

P1064031.jpg

P1064032.jpg

P1064033.jpg

Excuse the mess in the pictures. I'm working out of a closet, so there isn't room to put anything.

P1204047.jpg

P1204046.jpg

That took forever. I spent pretty much the whole day sanding the holes down with a nail file because the heatsink wouldn't fit.

Expect another update Sunday or Monday. By then, I should be finished with the hinge assembly/frame and a few other bits.

After some trial and error, here's what I came up with for the hinge assembly:

P1264148.jpg

P1264149.jpg

P1264150.jpg

I still need to trim some excess metal from the hinges, but other than that, it's done.

Instead of building a frame, I decided to just stick pieces of aluminum in wherever I notice sagging. That way will be easier and I won't have to worry about slight discrepancies in the measurements.

Post for sub. This is incredible! I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor and can't wait to see the end result!

Post for sub. This is incredible! I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor and can't wait to see the end result!

Thanks!

Here's what I got done today:

P1274153.jpg

I still need to cut the ethernet hole and finish up the CF slot, but I think I'll wait till morning for that.

EDIT: Finished!

P1274155.jpg

I just realized that the CF card will block the frame I built, but that won't be too hard to correct.

Back
Top Bottom