Random Chit Chat

So losing profit is a "win" in your book?

I get what he's saying. Dealing with super cheap customers that expect miracles for the lowest price possible will most certainly takes years off of your life. I did a virus/spyware cleanup on a friend of a friend's PC for a flat rate of $50 a while back. It took several days to clean it up (I worked on it after work, when I had time). Then the guy didn't want to pay because he was expecting this old machine with 1GB of RAM running Vista to perform like a brand new PC. After much back and forth I finally got the money, but I had to end up going to the guy's house to hook it back up to his internet connection (not part of the original deal at all). I can truly say that $50 was a loss on this one due to the amount of time and energy I spent on it. Not worth it...

So losing profit is a "win" in your book?

$20 isn't profit, unless you're a kid washing cars.

$20 is barely lunch.

Seriously, a computer professional, even a free-lancer working out of his house, is worth more than $20 an hour. Even my relatives pay more than that when I fix their stuff.

If they are so cheap that they won't pay more than that, then they'd better learn how to fix their own mistakes. Again, win in my book.

It may not be profit to you, but it's profit to most. I will be happy making $20 an hour working on computers while I'm in college. A lot of people doesn't seem to trust individuals and only go to big name companies like Geek Squad.

Where do you make $20 washing cars? Automated car washes are like $5, so why pay $20 for somebody else to do it?

$20 is more than enough for lunch. My lunch only costs $7 a day.

$20 isn't profit, unless you're a kid washing cars.

$20 is barely lunch.

Seriously, a computer professional, even a free-lancer working out of his house, is worth more than $20 an hour. Even my relatives pay more than that when I fix their stuff.

If they are so cheap that they won't pay more than that, then they'd better learn how to fix their own mistakes. Again, win in my book.

How is $20 not profit? I'd kill to have a job that payed me $20 an hour. Right now I work a ton of hours each week selling computers for $12 an hour and on boxing day I worked 16 because I got payed extra (1.5 times for the first 8 hours, 2.5 for the second 8). Anything more than $20/hour is coming close to highway robbery, for being an untrained guy who just happens to know about computers. If you were to make $20 an hour working full time (8 hours a day, 6 days a week) then you'd be making a tiny bit less than $50,000, and don't forget that you can multitask while working and thus charge multiple people for the same amount of time. If you charge your relatives more than $20/hour then they must despise you for it.

/rant

I know 20 seems like a lot to you all, but I can assure you...For on-site calls, 50+/hr is more like it, plus travel time depending on the trip. This is what I've witnessed personally as a friend of mine does client PC repair for his company, and has to travel quite a distance (about an hour ride up) to where most of the clients are located. He makes $85/hr on service calls. As well as getting paid the same for travel.

Just wondering, how hard would it be to replace the CCFL backlights in my monitors with LEDs? The PWM seems to be using a much lower refresh rate than normal, which gives me a headache during long gaming or browsing sessions.

Back
Top Bottom