serious help needed

chrisf-1

Baseband Member
Hi again everyone I hope someone can be of help to me here I will start giving as much detail as I can, it is a Dell XPS 720 running with 2 x 500 gig sata HDD with 3gig of RAM and windows 7 O/S the service tag is D6MSD3J. The trouble started when a man on the other end of the phone told me to unplug my HDD and plug one in that he had sold me to test as I intended to use it in a caddy anyway, well in doing this I believe I got the wires mixed up as there is another disc drive in there which I believe is cache anyway I am sure that problem is sorted now as 2 of the wires had the same part number so I thought it a safe bet those 2 must for HDD'S and the other for the cache drive but now when I power up it goes no further than saying starting windows with the logo above it and that is where it stops, I have tried booting from the windows disc and it still stops in the same place, at one time I do not know how I got there but it gave me a message saying control manager missing but as I cant boot from the disc I am a bit lost also I can no longer power off from the front I have to unplug it will power on from the front but not off, any advice on solving this problem greatly appreciated many thanks Chris

first thoughts are maybe some static damage to the hardrive?

I cant rememeber the exact figures so bear with me hear but on my A+ course i took it said something along the lines of the average static electric shock you feel is a few thousands volts and there are only 20 or so volts needed to cause issues with internal computer components.

Very possible that there is an issue here!!

But lets not jump into that conclusion, i'm presuming you have another computer available? As you posted this? Search around the hardrive manufacturers website for some diagnostics tools and post back the results.

The problem is that I cannot use a diagnostic tool because it will not move any further than starting windows even if I try booting from the windows disc I am beginning to wonder if by coincidence the sata CD drive has gone down many thanks for reply Chris

Chris,

The diagnostics tool you download will not be windows based. It will be a bootable CD or USB program that will not need to use your current operating system in any way

Back
Top Bottom