Built my computer but it won't start up?

KevinG1

Baseband Member
I have just finished assembling my computer but I dont seem to be able to get it started for some strange reason... I mean absolutely nothing happens when I start it. Other then the ethernet cable light (in the motherboad) blinks.

I am using ASROCK x58 extreme motherboard ..

Please tell me what could be wrong and how I can solve it?

I would unplug and secure every connection, following the instructions in the motherboard manual just to make sure something wasn't plugged into the wrong spot.

i had a simular problem when i built mine. what it was with mine was i didnt plug the pwer cable to the top of the mobo. it would turn on and the fans would move but that was it untill i pluged that cord in.

I have checked over and over again...
Here are the following that are empty at the moment: TPM1, Floppy, PWR_FAN1, COM1, HDMI_SPD1F1, Speaker, CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, FRONT_1394 on the motherboard.

i had a simular problem when i built mine. what it was with mine was i didnt plug the pwer cable to the top of the mobo. it would turn on and the fans would move but that was it untill i pluged that cord in.

but mine wouldnt even turn on the fans... not even a slight movement

first thing to try before ruling out any faulty components.

Now get a flat head screw driver with a rubber or plastic handle.

Take off all of the little cables used to connect your case power button to the motherboard, should be a dock of say 12 little gold pins? check your motherboard manual to find out which 2 pins are for the power button. When you find which 2 pins these are use the metal head of your screw driver to make a conenction between these.

This will rule out any issue with the wiring on your case's power button.

If that doesnt work then try taking your RAM out of the motherboard and switch the computer on. Dont worry if it does come on coz it will probably start beeping like mad lol but you will have found your problem!!

Next thing i would do is take everything out of the case and hopefully you still have your motherboard anti static case? place your motherboard on that and get connect your power supply, leave EVERYTHING else except your CPU + HS and Fan off short the 2 pins together again? Possble the motherboard is earthing out against your case.

Do you have all LEDs, power buttons, etc set up correctly and to relevant headers? I'm thinking that may be the problem.. It can be hard at times knowing exactly how they go.
It happened in a very old build I done, the LEDs would show all the time even when the computer was off and PSU was ON because power was supplied to the motherboard, but the buttons would not work.

Is the 8 pin CPU power cable connected? It should be somewhere near your CPU socket, thats the number 1 thing that people forget when building a computer IMO.

Is the 8 pin CPU power cable connected? It should be somewhere near your CPU socket, thats the number 1 thing that people forget when building a computer IMO.

I think it is connected if you mean there is a socket called "ATX..." (I dont remember the full name) but I think it is what you are talking about and yes it is 8 pin socket and I have connected two 4 pin cables (http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/12v4pinindex.jpg) to it because I didn't have any 8 pin socket... :( This cable is coming straight from the power supply.

Back
Top Bottom