User clicks on link on my website, whose IP will log on the linked website

joematthews

Beta member
Hello.

I am new to this forum. I appreciate any help that can be given. My question is this:

A user clicks on a link on my personal website. Say the link is to cnn.com. Whose IP address will the webmaster of cnn.com have? Will it be the IP address of the user, since he/she is accessing cnn.com from their own computer? Or would it be the IP address to my website since that is where the link is.

Thank you very much.

it will be the ip address of the user. Altheo on cnn.com your website will show in there webstat logs as refering that user

Thank you very much for your answer. Using that same example, if my website IP was banned for instance by CNN, would people clicking on the cnn link on my website be prevented from accessing CNN? Or would it just show in CNN log that mine was the referring IP address?

By the way, this is not for anything illegal. It is dealing with some political blogs where some people don't react well to disagreement--even polite disagreement.

Thanks again.

if people click on the link they will still be able to get to the site ok. If they have blocked your IP you can still link to them but you can not link to files such as images and display them on your site

Thank you both for your help. I will explore the DNS tools you recommended. I was not aware of those.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom