Hardware or virus problem?

1.I cleaned all the dust in the power box
2.I changed the cell(exact functionality is beyond my knowledge) on the MOBO
Didnot encounter any problem to reboot yet,however,the mouse problem still exists.
Hope this helps.
Special thanks to Jmacavali to point me to that direction.

have u try to replace the mouse...it could be the mouse to be the real problem. If being use extremely it might get problem such as loose wire connection or worst, dysfunctional chip.

However if somehow all 3 problems mentioned before are related, it could be something wrong with mobo..perhaps the ps/2 or usb port. Just my 2cent

I specifically shut down the pc last nite.This morning it took me 3 times to reboot back to the welcome screen.so far it has not shut down by itself yet.With the antivirus utility program I have,nothing found.
I'll leave it on and see if it dies again.
Thanks guys.

If it's rebooting in the middle of startup, then that still leads me to believe it's the power supply that's causing the issue.

I dont know.I am still scratching my head.
Under Window,"shut down"-"restart" and it would take me right to my desktop and the system will run as long as it runs,however,when I shut down completely I would have the problem rebooting.(I shut it down last nite and tried restarting it this morning)well,I got it running but only after a number of times of power"on" and "off"
As for the mouse,I am only using the USB connection now and it seemed the autoscrolling is gone,for now,anyway.
I am going to open the powersource box up to see if there is default parts.
Keep you guys informed.

This morning it took me 3 times to reboot back to the welcome screen.so far it has not shut down by itself yet
They say in CSI, "Follow the evidence". You were doing exactly what they say to not do. Wild speculation followed by part swapping. Also called shotgunning. At best, only symptoms were cured.

Posted last week (Friday) is what you do so that the next post is the solution. If you do not understand why that was so important, then even more reasons to do it.

You have plenty of "sounds like ... " posts which is equivalent to throwing dice. Also called wild speculation. An exact opposite of 'follow the evidence'. And it violates what was even taught in junior high science on how to know something.

Your replies will only be as useful as information you post. Defined is how to have (and then post) facts. Comprehensive hardware diagnostics. Or measure. That requires a multimeter maybe from Kmart, Wal-Mart, or a friend. If you cannot use a multimeter, then you never figured out the Ipod or cell phone - both of which are exponentially more complex.

They say. "follow the evidence". A reply that identifies the suspect will also say why. Why - what you must also have in any useful reply. It is up to you. Your replies are only as useful as facts that you provide. Currently, no useful facts. Not even numbers from a BSOD or facts from system (event) logs.

Currently, you do not even have a list of what is known good - definitively - and bad - definitively. Progress is measured by what is on each list. Both lists remain empty. Provided on Friday was how to have items on those lists by Saturday. Which is not possible if still shotgunning.

Your replies have only been as useful as the facts you provided. With useful facts (especially the multimeter), then the very next reply quickly fills those two lists. Both identifies the suspect and exonerates so many others items that were "sounds like ...".

So what is your point,exactly?Am I dragging this thread too long and get under your skin?Previous postings were not just responding to your comments,there were some others who threw in their advices which I needed to respond politely.

A community forum is a place,other than sharing interests,experience...,where members can post questions and learn.There is no such thing as stupid question,the only thing stupid is you do not ask.

I tried to diagnose the problem I had.What is wrong with asking for advice here and there to see whether I am on the right path?Wasn't this you teacher taught you when you were in grade school?Oh ,I forgot,maybe you got taught so much and so well that you became a smartass now.Remember,you still went through the same learning path,no different.

If the Mod says I posted too many speculated questions,no facts(no evidence),I believe he/she would have told me when and where to stop(not where to go).As far as I am concerned,this thread is still open,however,I will stop here because I have already got a earful.

I better off use the time to troubleshoot than to argue with you.
Believe it or not,I can operate a lot of tools better than you could have imagined.A multimeter does not guarantee where you going to end up,period.

So what is your point,exactly?
It was posted repeatedly. Either you followed up because that is the only solution that provides a useful answer.
Or measure things that cause such problems. That requires a multimeter maybe from Kmart, Wal-Mart, or a friend. First identify a defect before fixing it.
Defined is how to have (and then post) facts. Comprehensive hardware diagnostics. Or measure. That requires a multimeter maybe from Kmart, Wal-Mart, or a friend. ... Currently, no useful facts. Not even numbers from a BSOD or facts from system (event) logs.
All examples of how to first know what is defective.

Some tasks can be done immediately. Others may require asking for details (based upon a still undefined level of knowledge).

You have not posted 'too much'. But review what was posted. Much observation and speculation. No hard facts and no numbers. Observation that only suggests which hard facts should be obtained first. Posted are examples of information necessary to have useful replies.

1.I cleaned all the dust in the power box
2.I changed the cell(exact functionality is beyond my knowledge) on the MOBO
Neither would have caused what you observed.

If it's rebooting in the middle of startup, then that still leads me to believe it's the power supply
or can be any other part of that power 'system'. Or caused by other problems detected by the power 'system' which in turn instituted a power off. IOW observation says numbers (voltages) are necessary to move the entire power 'system' from "completely unknown" to either "definitively good" or "definitively defective". How to determine supply 'system' integrity? As said previously, "First identify a defect before fixing it."

Posted were examples of getting hard facts. Your observations currently suggest a defective could be in any one of more than half of your computer's components. Suggested is how to whittle that list done to one or two very quickly. The most powerful 'hard fact' comes from a multimeter.

So what is your point,exactly?Am I dragging this thread too long and get under your skin?Previous postings were not just responding to your comments,there were some others who threw in their advices which I needed to respond politely.

A community forum is a place,other than sharing interests,experience...,where members can post questions and learn.There is no such thing as stupid question,the only thing stupid is you do not ask.

I tried to diagnose the problem I had.What is wrong with asking for advice here and there to see whether I am on the right path?Wasn't this you teacher taught you when you were in grade school?Oh ,I forgot,maybe you got taught so much and so well that you became a smartass now.Remember,you still went through the same learning path,no different.

If the Mod says I posted too many speculated questions,no facts(no evidence),I believe he/she would have told me when and where to stop(not where to go).As far as I am concerned,this thread is still open,however,I will stop here because I have already got a earful.

I better off use the time to troubleshoot than to argue with you.
Believe it or not,I can operate a lot of tools better than you could have imagined.A multimeter does not guarantee where you going to end up,period.

I wouldn't say you're dragging it. Everyone starts somewhere, and it's by asking questions (and making mistakes) that we learn.

and westom, excessive dust can cause what he's seeing. It's not common, but it's possible.

I'm going to read through this again since my original speculation of virus appears to be invalid and see what I can come up with.

Back
Top Bottom