hosting from home: how to?

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
well, i have an old Compaq PC (listed in sig) that doesnt get much use. IVe also recently decided to try and create my own site, most likely a blog-type site, to upload my computer/networking articles to. Also, ive been told that this would help me in finding work, as it is a live portfolio to show to employers.

anyway, ive got a copy of WinServer 2003 Enterprise via. MSDN (i get access from my college) and i know my way around it as far as active directory, dns, dhcp and fileservers are concerned. Im just not so sure about web hosting.

if someone could explain, or point me to a site that does explain, id be very grateful.

cheers.

Ok first, do you have a static IP, what are your speeds? If you don't have one, most ISPs charge extra for this. ( I pay Verizon 40/m for 5). On to Speeds, you may have high DL speeds but not high upload. What about your ISPs server policy most disallow websites. Second downtime; can you accept your site going down if you lose internet and/or power. Will you buy a UPS und Generator for power? Third security; Do you know enough to keep your box secure und if its compromised can the intrusion spread to your other PCs? These are all important things to consider.

Also as web hosting on windows its called IIS(internet Information System) Real easy to setup(almost automatic), but if you run into issues I can help.

ive thought about it many times but dont think its worth doing, hosting is so cheap these days and they usually gurante uptime. If you want to host at home you need to pay for

-A dedicated ip address from your ISP (Your upload speed needs to be as high as possible)
-hardware (A computer / server)
-if running windows need to pay for license
-Pay for electricity
-manage the server yourself

what sort of site do you want to run, will it use windows or linux?

ive thought about it many times but dont think its worth doing, hosting is so cheap these days and they usually gurante uptime. If you want to host at home you need to pay for

-A dedicated ip address from your ISP (Your upload speed needs to be as high as possible)
-hardware (A computer / server)
-if running windows need to pay for license
-Pay for electricity
-manage the server yourself

what sort of site do you want to run, will it use windows or linux?

Not to be a Jerk but He stated windows.

Simply put, how will you secure your server if you can't even set it up yourself?

You can be sure someone will find and try to hack it!

Back
Top Bottom