Teach me to use my 4 wheel drive

I dont know if it was mentioned, but NEVER EVER EVER EVER use Low 4x4 in snow.
Gives way to much torque and that is what you dont want in slippery snow.

Also,
get good winter tires and 4x4 would hardly be needed.
I imagine your Dakota is a bit different then my ride, but still.

Mastercraft Tires - Courser MSR - 100% kick ass product

also, 4 inches of snow should be nothing.
Sadly in Pittsburgh iv yet to need to use my 4x4 *sad face*

Center differential and transfer cases are not the same. Transfer cases are fully locked while center differentials are not.

Center differential and transfer cases are not the same. Transfer cases are fully locked while center differentials are not.

and to add, that a differential while in nature is unlocked. there are modifications that you can add to lock and unlock one at the push of a button.

and to add, that a differential while in nature is unlocked. there are modifications that you can add to lock and unlock one at the push of a button.
There are cheaper modifications to lock it permanently too. lol, a welder, or mini spool...

There is a big difference between an AWD and a 4WD, and a big difference between Full time and Part time.

AWD - uses a syncro, hydraulic or clutch style transfer case. which allows all 4 wheels to spin at different speeds but still giving all the wheels a bit of torque in slippery conditions.
This also falls under the fancy computer controlled AWD's as well

4WD - uses a chain or gears in a transfer case to lock the front and rear differentials together, so no matter what there is one rear and one front wheel spinning. This is (according to Jeep) called Part Time 4WD. meaning you will only drive with it engaged for a part of the time.

A Full Time 4WD transfer case is something that can be left engaged, Full Time. It will automatically engage when the rear wheels slip or spin, then disengage after a short period of normal driving. so for the most part your driving in 2WD

My Grand Cherokee has both options for Full and Part time 4WD.

these are basic explanations of how they work. hope it helps.
traditionally there have been full time cases that will keep all 4 wheels powered at all times. My K20 is like this. No locking, its always locked, however I do have to engage the hubs to lock the front axle (the manual hubs are a aftermarket product).

basically, AWD is built to run all the time. 4WD is not.
What you say here can be right or wrong. AWD is a fairly new word. As was stated, Full time 4x4 has been around from the '50's until around 86 in chevy and '80 in ford (unsure of dodge), but they never called this AWD.

traditionally there have been full time cases that will keep all 4 wheels powered at all times. My K20 is like this. No locking, its always locked, however I do have to engage the hubs to lock the front axle (the manual hubs are a aftermarket product).

Lost me there, But with manual locking hubs, that's something different, as your still ether in or out of 4WD.

What you say here can be right or wrong. AWD is a fairly new word. As was stated, Full time 4x4 has been around from the '50's until around 86 in chevy and '80 in ford (unsure of dodge), but they never called this AWD.

American Motor invented AWD with the introduction of the Eagle in 1980. it uses a thick viscous fluid center differential. Thou the 'Jensen FF' in 1966 was the first car with 4WD. And Subaru released the 'Leone' in 1972 with optional 4WD as well.

Back
Top Bottom