Few new PC questions

Zeroz

Beta member
I'm trying to find out what I would really need for just general browsing the net, maybe some video editing and games such as css or maybe something like WoW, needs to be good for running multiple things at once. My budget is around £600.

I've found a few builds that i could go for however I was wondering if getting an Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 760 (2.80GHz, 8MB) over something like an i3 or AMD® Phenom™ II X4 830 (2.8GHz, 6MB Cache) would be worth it.

Would I need the I5 over the AMD or would the AMD be fine for what I will be doing?

Also for RAM will 4gb be fine? Or should i go for 6?

Go with Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 760 (2.80GHz, 8MB) with 4 GB ram this enough for your need

zaiko2000
Re: Few new PC questions

go for the sandy bridge processors !!! i5 - 2300 or i7 - 2600 ! All the rest is obsolete.

No. With a budget of £600, this probably rules out the new sandybridge processors (Off the top of my head £200 ish for the processor, then £120 ish for mobo) over half the budget - without delivery - for 2 components. Plus you dont NEED them for this type of build.

To the original poster:
Are you looking for a whole new PC? (E.g. Mouse, Monitor, Keyboard, Operating system all required?)
Are you set on either AMD or Intel or not fussed?
Are you building or buying? - if building anything we can use?
Also - take it your in the UK?

To answer your question, probably either option you listed would be fine - the i5 or the Phenom Quad core. You dont need much CPU power for general word processing / internet browsing, and the other CPU's should handle WOW OK.

4GB of ram is fine, you wont notice a huge difference between 4GB and 6GB to be honest, and if you are on a budget thats the least of your worries.

Let us know.

No. With a budget of £600, this probably rules out the new sandybridge processors (Off the top of my head £200 ish for the processor, then £120 ish for mobo) over half the budget - without delivery - for 2 components. Plus you dont NEED them for this type of build.

To the original poster:
Are you looking for a whole new PC? (E.g. Mouse, Monitor, Keyboard, Operating system all required?)
Are you set on either AMD or Intel or not fussed?
Are you building or buying? - if building anything we can use?
Also - take it your in the UK?

To answer your question, probably either option you listed would be fine - the i5 or the Phenom Quad core. You dont need much CPU power for general word processing / internet browsing, and the other CPU's should handle WOW OK.

4GB of ram is fine, you wont notice a huge difference between 4GB and 6GB to be honest, and if you are on a budget thats the least of your worries.

Let us know.

Yea it's a whole new PC, my current one is around 5 years old, also i'm not fussed about Intel or AMD, I have an AMD atm and it hasn't let me down, the PC is just starting to get a bit rusty now and is really outdated, also i'm just buying it i'm all good when it comes to software and such but i've never had experience getting all the hardware together and building it. And yea i'm in the UK.

I think the main thing i'm concerned about is I don't want to pay too much for something I won't need or use to its potential, and going for the AMD Phenom X4 really takes a chunk off the price although it is a step down from the I5.

Thanks for the help btw.

OK.

Heres a pretty tidy machine:

Titan Krypt - AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.00GHz Quad Core DDR3 System.
"Titan Krypt" AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.00GHz Quad Core DDR3 System []

This is on special at the moment - £30 off. With windows 7 Home Premium edition, comes in at £557 including delivery. Check the reviews too, seems someone is playing wow on it maxed out - smooth.

Your monitor should be able to plug and play straight into this system (Im guessing) ditto mouse and keyboard. If not, you do have £43 floating around, you can pick up a decent monitor for £90...

If the budget is strict, we can look at another build - or if the suggestion doesnt suit you / dont like ill have a little look around.

You can build your own, its not massively hard, and it will save you a little but obviously its not to everyone's knowledge / skill set / preference!

Best sites for the uk (FYI) are overclockers.co.uk and ebuyer. Have a look on there every now n then - most run special deals daily / weekly.

Back
Top Bottom