linux

does anyone know were i can get a linux download. id like to get one for free. so free is always the best. just a good dl would be best. dont rly want ubantu. like to run linux on my server.

thanks a bunch

Couple of things...

a) Any reason why you don't want Ubuntu? I'm not saying use it, I wouldn't necessarily go with it for a server build (though it really would depend on what type of server!) If you're not too familiar with Linux (and it sounds like you're not) it might actually be a pretty good starting point.

b) If you see a version of Linux that ain't free, then generally stay away! (with the exception of the paid versions of SUSE that come with lots of manuals and are actually well worth the money.) Linux has always been and probably always will be free, so while there are paid-only distros out there, none of them are particularly mainstream.

Take a look at this. It's a pretty comprehensive list of the available linux distributions out there. Useful if you have an idea what you want to do with it and would like to find a distro that suits your particular needs.

Take a look at this. It's a pretty comprehensive list of the available linux distributions out there. Useful if you have an idea what you want to do with it and would like to find a distro that suits your particular needs.
It's a useful list to look at - but I would use it as your be all and end all for choosing a distribution. Especially if you're just starting out it's often better to go for a more mainstream version - simply because there will be more documentation around for it on setting it up, and people are far more likely to respond if you ask for help!

well the one version i got from foothead looks good but im waiting on a hardrive to install. what do you recommenced

For a server I would recommend Debian, or Fedora but for different reasons. Debian is a very safe distro. From my experience it can be locked down very well, all though you can do that to most distros.

I use Fedora for a most all of my servers. I feel that it gives you that best two worlds. Security in the it comes with SELinux installed and ready to go out of the box, and ease of use in that you can install most anything from the repos.

Ubuntu is a good beginning linux. It is the distro that I used when I started with linux. If you want a distro that basically works without much work straight out of the box Ubuntu is for you. However I now have my personal quarrels with Ubuntu and the fact that you don't have a root password per-say. But that isn't what this is about.

So there is my two or three cents.

Use Centos the Perfect Server

CentOS is an Enterprise Linux distribution based on the freely available sources from Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Back
Top Bottom