Debate: CPU Cooler for AIR COOLED!

Shane198three

Baseband Member
What are the statistics you want to look for when purchasing a new CPU cooler for an air cooled system?

Note: I have been looking at CPU coolers, and a friend has told me, only look at pure copper units. I love all suggestions, so please share.

Looking at all copper units is a ridiculous thing to say, they usually weigh a ton, cost a ton, and don't really offer any benefits. There is a reason that the majority have copper heatpipes + aluminium fins - conduction and dissipation. Copper is an excellent conductor of heat, so having a copper base + heatpipes means they will be able to move the heat away from the chip much more quickly than other metals would. The aluminium fins dissipate heat better than copper does, and is also lighter and cheaper, which means a larger cooler will get rid of heat more quickly, weigh less and cost less.

That doesn't mean though that all heatsinks are on parr if they have copper + aluminium design, the design of the fins, heatpipes, base and fans all paly a part. Which cooler to get, like any other component, bedpends on your budget and the rest of your system.

If you are looking for a cooler, what CPU socket are you on, and what budget do you have?

I am on an AM3 socket, I wouldn't want to spend more then $50 if possible, though, I could go more, I just want to have the coldest possible case. I like air cooled. And I don't care about noise, I see all these speed adjustable fans, I would rather it be efficient then anything else.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER V6 RR-V6SV-22PR-R1 DynaLoop CPU Cooler w/ Universal bracket

is the best in your budget

or

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CAFA70 120mm Dual-Fan CPU Cooler

however, I would still take the Cooler Master for the price. It has better performance, but if you are very (VERY) lucky, you will get the full rebate offered by Corsair, which will make that the better option, though rebates from Corsair are generally not worth reading, you very rarely get them, or the full amount they say due to accumulating fees from your bank

Ok, and then I would have to ask, V6 or the V6 GT?

And is there anything better then the V6?

I want my computer to run as cool as possible via Air Cooled.

Aastii, I am really quite surprised that no one else has hopped on on this subject giving their 2 cents on what the best CPU cooler is... Or trying to persuade me to go liquid cooled. Is this the way it is usually?

V6:

1 Fan
No LED's
Copper Plate

V6GT:

2 Fans
Changable LED's
Nickle Plated copper plate

There are air coolers better than the V6, but they are more expensive. If you can afford it, my choices, for air cooling, would be either:

Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

or

Newegg.com - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

+ 2 x Newegg.com - Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm CPU Cooler and Case Fan

+ (as you are on AMD socket) Newegg.com - Prolimatech ARM-01 AMD Retention Mount Adapter Kit

But when you are spending that much, you have priorities wrong to be honest, a cheaper cooler will work perfectly fine, even heavily overclocked (the V6 is a great example of one) and money would be better spent on upgrading another component

Make sure you get yourself some decent thermal paste as well, it can easily drop your temps by a few degrees, especially if you clean off the old stuff properly first.

By cleaning off properly, I mean wipe off the worst with a lint free cloth, coffee filters work best. Then, use some isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol, at least 90%) to remove the rest. It will evaporate pretty much instantly because of the high alcohol content, but wipe off any residue. Then put yourself a small blob (about half the size of your ordinary garden pea) of thermal grease in the centre of the CPU. Put your heatsink directly on top, no need to spread it, all spreading will do is introduce air bubbles, which is bad, it is what the thermal grease is meant to be getting rid of.

By decent thermal grease I mean:

alright thermal paste: Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Excellent thermal paste (though very expensive): Newegg.com - MASSCOOL G751 Shin-Etsu Thermal Interface Material

As for why nobody else has posted, either they have no views different to mine, so no need to post, see that I'm able to give you all of the information you need, or they simply can't be arsed :p.

Astii has it pretty well covered.

NH-D14s are great, but they're enormous and expensive.

Once you hit a certain point, you start to see less gain for your dollar. That extra $30 for the NH-D14 could be another game.

im still loving my h70 is you where wanting another 2 cents plus persuasion. i never go above 85 F even underload. but is is a higher price tag for the preformance!

Back
Top Bottom