Linux, need some help

Tyler.rlawrence

Baseband Member
My boss wants me to learn Linux, the IT guy at work works with it, and isnt the best teacher. I was wondering if anyone knew any good books to read, or where i can get some classes for Linux. Thanks guys.

Hi,

Do you have a sense of what your boss wants to use linux for? This can help us to point you in a better direction. If you want to learn linux I would recommend that you install it on a computer or laptop that you can use a lot. Then you can play around with it and make mistakes, reinstall, and repeat till you have a hang of some things.

I also know that a few of us here have worked with linux for a while, I know that I have been using it since about 2006, so I have seen the good and the bad with linux and can recommend things. I don't want to say that I know the most about linux here as there is always things to learn but I remember when it was just myself and DJCHRIS that were using a linux. That is just a little reminisce for some of the older members.

Feel free to ask me or others anything and I am sure that we can find something for you, most of the time it won't cost you money.

Cheers!

I work for a Small Wireless ISP. I am a computer tech and tech support, We use Linux for or network. He just wants me to learn it.

Hi,

I would try and find out what distribution you are using at your workplace (if you are using one already). Then we can give you a more focused sense of where to go and what to learn.

Cheers!

First you try to install open suse in your machine. Then follow this link opensuse-guide.org.

The purpose of this guide is to provide new users with everything they need to know to get started using openSUSE as a home user/small office desktop operating system - quickly and easily.

After you install OpenSUSE, then we can help you with installing any other servers or what not that you might need to set up, on your own computer.

If you can you might want to set up a test server somewhere in you building. This way you can test things that you need to set up, and essentially break them without taking down a mission critical server that is up working for you company.

But start with installing OpenSUSE and start the fun process of learning.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom