Re-capping dead LCD monitors

Thanks foothead! Even though i repair touch screens and what not for a day job, i was unaware that fixing this issue was as easy as changing capacitors! I Got around to pulling apart my 2x lenovo monitors and low and behold, both of themn had blown 16v 1000uf cap's!

$4 for 5 of them, i'll let you guys know if i get them working.

Thanks foothead! Even though i repair touch screens and what not for a day job, i was unaware that fixing this issue was as easy as changing capacitors! I Got around to pulling apart my 2x lenovo monitors and low and behold, both of themn had blown 16v 1000uf cap's!

$4 for 5 of them, i'll let you guys know if i get them working.

Nice! Since the same cap blew in both, make sure you replace it with a higher quality one, not the same model it came with. I'd get one with a higher voltage rating to be safe, just be sure it's the same size.

Nice guide. I don't know if I'd go that deep into the components to replace them because I don't have lots of luck with soldering, but I guess to save a bit of money, if I had to I probably would try. Though I am slightly scared of capacitors after we exploded one in electronics class.

Another thing that could be wrong with the monitor if the screen turns off right after it's turned on is the backlight is actually turning off because it's bad. I've seen that happen before. Some people may mistake the screen turning off for the backlight turning off because you can't see the screen without the backlight. You can shine a flash light on the screen and it should still be on.

So Higher voltage and temp but same UF?

Yea, always stick with the same uF value. If they're 85'C caps then try and go with quality 105'C caps with a higher voltage rating. The only thing is the caps with a higher voltage rating might be a little bigger than the ones you replace so make sure there's enough space around them if necessary.

There is plenty of room on the PCB! It's a shame that i have already ordered the same caps there were already in it, once i get these and know that the monitor works i'll order the 25v 125c 1000uf Cap's.

Back
Top Bottom