why firefox eats up a lot of memory

uceicko

Baseband Member
I have a problem with the firefox - it seems to eat up a lot of resources on my windows 7. I am currently using a HP dm4 laptop, with a quad core, 4gig memory.

I found sometimes when I use firefox (watching youtube and surfing internet) and doing things on word, it seems to eat up a lot of resources. If I click the task manager and see which software use the most, it will always be firefox. sometime it eats up so much that the laptop hangs. the version of my firefox is 3.6.13. When I use the older version, it didnt seen to have this problem. just wonder anyone know why is this? thanks a lot.

I have a problem with the firefox - it seems to eat up a lot of resources on my windows 7. I am currently using a HP dm4 laptop, with a quad core, 4gig memory.

I found sometimes when I use firefox (watching youtube and surfing internet) and doing things on word, it seems to eat up a lot of resources. If I click the task manager and see which software use the most, it will always be firefox. sometime it eats up so much that the laptop hangs. the version of my firefox is 3.6.13. When I use the older version, it didnt seen to have this problem. just wonder anyone know why is this? thanks a lot.

It really depends on what it's doing:
- how many pages you have open
- how big they are
- is there anything active on the pages open like continuous Javascript operations, Flash applets, animated GIFs, etc

I often have around 30-40 Firefox tabs open in a few separate windows and do notice what you're experiencing. The worst cases are caused by bad Javascript programming which cause memory leaks.

Unfortunately Firefox has always maintained the memory control problems from its predecessor. I remember twice having my Linux system hang because of a Netscape memory leak!

That said, it's a lot better than IE. If you leave ANY window open in IE long enough to be paged out, the process will start to leak progressively.

Also another thing I have noticed a difference with is making sure that your plugins and add ons are up to date. The best updater program I use is the one from filehippo.com. When you have everything up to date, I would go through all your plugins and see if there are plug ins that you do not use and disable them. If you not for sure, just post them up here and we will be glad to help.

thank you for all the detail prescriptions!! i have been checking my firefox for all your suggestions. also updates of both my add-on and plug in. Hope this situation well get better. thanks a lot!! I'll play around with it and see whether the situation gets beter.

btw, when i see my plug-in and add-ons, some of them i have no idea when i install it. One is call "simplepass online accounts extension 1.0 - supports fingerprint logon to websites and application." does anyone has this add-on?

btw, when i see my plug-in and add-ons, some of them i have no idea when i install it. One is call "simplepass online accounts extension 1.0 - supports fingerprint logon to websites and application." does anyone has this add-on?

Do you have the HP security center installed? When I had that installed on my school laptop I had the same plugin.

tks a lot celegorm. i did found i got a HP security thing (never notice if you didnt tell me so). tks!!

I'm not convinced it's just page design.

I'm having the same problems, to be honest it starts with having multiple tabs open in multiple windows. Memory use gradually creeps up, and stays up. The page allocation for the browser never seems to be released. There had been times that I may have had say 40 or more tabs open across multiple windows, I've seen memory use between 500MB -1GB there, sadly you can then close all windows and tabs till only one remains and that one tab (which might been a plain HTML page) just keeps all the memory previously allocated.

It honestly seems that firefox has gotten as bad if not worse as IE6 ever was, whilst at the same time IE seems to have just gotten better.

The best advice I think that there is now is the same advise we used to give to ie users,

We used to say that until MS make a decent browser then just install firefox,

Now it's the case that until firefox fix their browser try IE8 or Chrome,
(I just hope that both of them get the same amount of third party plug in development that ff got).

I'm not convinced it's just page design.

It honestly seems that firefox has gotten as bad if not worse as IE6 ever was, whilst at the same time IE seems to have just gotten better.
The best advice I think that there is now is the same advise we used to give to ie users,
We used to say that until MS make a decent browser then just install firefox,
Now it's the case that until firefox fix their browser try IE8 or Chrome,

i feel the same.
i'll try chrome.. hope it will be better.

i have the same issue, I am a heavy firefox user I always have 3-10 tabs open and I switch between them frequently, I am seeing the same issue, to fix it I close down firefox then reopen, this releases the memory leaks

Back
Top Bottom