Time for phone upgrade

cboucher

Fully Optimized
It seems that I'm due for a phone upgrade. As it happens, there is a new app available for listening to Sirius satellite radio (I want to be able to listen to Howard100 at work). This app only works on three platforms: iPhone, Android, and Blackberry. The Blackberry is out, I know people with Blackberries and they all complain about them. I don't know if I'm ready to go to the dark side and get an iPhone, but people who have them seem to really love them. Android phones seem pretty cool, but they are still pretty knew, so I don't know anyone who has one. So, does anyone have this Sirius radio app and does it work well? Also, as far as the iPhone and Android phone goes, which do you guys prefer?

I personally prefer iPhone and iOS over Android. While Android is customizable, experiences vary wildly across phones and manufacturers. The experience is also not as polished as iOS or Windows Phone 7 because of Google's quality control - or lack thereof.

At the same time, Android by default gives you more control and customization over your handset in comparison to iOS and also offers more hardware options that could better suit your needs.

When it comes down to it, both operating systems are ultimately locked down in some shape or form. With the iPhone, it's done by the manufacturer. With Android devices, it's done by the carriers. Both can be remedied via hacking.

Edit: If you do decide to side with the iPhone, I'd wait for their next revision before renewing that contract.

when it comes down to it, Droid Phones and Iphones are basicly equal to the typical user, i would just go with the phone/carrier that has the best service in your area.

i have the Moto Droid 1, and it does anything and everything id ever want.
For what i use it for, maybe 45 mins a day is used for listening to music, hmm... id say 100-400 texts a day, and maybe perhaps 45-60 mins of internet/FB browsing. And it lasts me about 8-12 hours depending on how much i use it. (screen on lowest brightness and nothing fancy running)

In a few days I'll be eligible for "fully discounted iPhone", whatever that means. Actually the wording in the ad was very vague. It'll probably come down to whichever phone ends up being cheaper between the iPhone and Android platforms. Of course, I won't find that information out until the day I"ll be eligible for the upgrade (Monday). I just wanted to get an idea what each platform was like from you guys. Although, I do like the fact that free apps are probably easier to get on the Android platform. Then again, people really seem to love their iPhones... This is going to be a hard decision, I can tell.

I do, and always will love the iPhone. That being said, when I decided to move onto my Droid, that love lessened. I must say i by far prefer the android platform now, and how much more customizable it is. I recently used a friend's iPhone 4, and liked it, but realized how much more static everything seems when compared to Android.

Some may complain about the "fragmentation", but in my opinion this is just an overused argument about an OPEN platform. The iPhone does what it does best, delivers exactly what it says it will, but I find Android just offers me more freedom.

I don't have much experience with AT&T's android phones, but I hear pretty good things about the Xperia, Captivate, and Aria.

Had a Blackberry Storm. Loved it (even though so many people hated it/complained about it).

Switched to the Droid Incredible. Will never use blackberry again. My Incredible is..well...incredible.

Have never used/seen an iPhone so I can't be of much help since you are deciding between iPhone and Droid....LOL

On Monday, when I find out which exact models I have to choose from, I'll post them. In the meantime, all iPhone and Android critiques are welcome. The more information, the better...

Thanks, guys...

I had an iPhone and switched to Verizon to give it a shot when my contract expired. It was easily customizable but required the same amount of time to root and customize my Motorala Droid than it did with my iPhone. I did have a lot of problems with battery life, wear/tear and the screen. The phone wore out a lot faster than my iPhone did and I actually used it less for the most part. The paint started wearing off in the back. The screen just wasn't as accurate as I wanted it to be. This was the first revision of the phone and I know they have a second version out which addresses most of these problems. My 2G lasted me until a about a year ago. Nothing was wrong with it except for the scuffs on the back and one of the speaker port protectors breaking. It all breaks down to customer service for me when it comes to products that are very similar. I would take Apple over most companies. I have dealt with their customer service before and I don't have a single complaint. I wasn't treated like an idiot and the item was replaced for one penny. I know people say the iPhone is "locked down" but there many accessories for the iPhone with 3rd party manufacturers which are reliable.

i have an iPhone, which i love, probably more than my computers since i always have it with me.

my girlfriend has the Galaxy S which she loves also (android)

everyone i know with a Blackberry seem to enjoy and make a point out of moaning about them, and the Windows phone is the subject of many-a-cruel joke around the office, and ive heard stories of HTC Winphones hitting walls pretty hard after a few weeks.

Some may complain about the "fragmentation", but in my opinion this is just an overused argument about an OPEN platform. The iPhone does what it does best, delivers exactly what it says it will, but I find Android just offers me more freedom.

Android is open to manufacturers, not consumers. Like I mentioned above, the phones are locked either way.

Back
Top Bottom