Teach me to use my 4 wheel drive

As a rule of thumb there is no reason why you can't always be in 4-wheel but you do need to be careful with turning and stuff.

Sorry mate but I wouldn't follow this advice. Full time 4wd's have a center diff that locks in when 4wd is engaged. This diff is what stops the wind up. Part time 4wd's dont have the center diff.

I would never leave it on full time. There's just no need to.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

But if there is clear road, you want to turn it off. Often the front and rear diffs are slightly different which would cause you to wind up your drive train if driving too long on clear pavement.

The center diff on 4WD allows for different speeds at the front/rear. So there's no chance of winding up the tranny at all, unless you lock the center diff, but this should be used only on slippery stuff and the modern 4WD will un-lock the center diff automatically.

@Celegorm AWD and 4WD are a bit different. The front end diff is adjusted for pavement use.

AWD/4WD what ever you wanna call it, it's the same thing regardless of the different diff's @ the front/rear.

EDIT:

Just realised that there are differences with AWD and 4WD. My bad.

There is a big difference between an AWD and a 4WD, and a big difference between Full time and Part time.

AWD - uses a syncro, hydraulic or clutch style transfer case. which allows all 4 wheels to spin at different speeds but still giving all the wheels a bit of torque in slippery conditions.
This also falls under the fancy computer controlled AWD's as well

4WD - uses a chain or gears in a transfer case to lock the front and rear differentials together, so no matter what there is one rear and one front wheel spinning. This is (according to Jeep) called Part Time 4WD. meaning you will only drive with it engaged for a part of the time.

A Full Time 4WD transfer case is something that can be left engaged, Full Time. It will automatically engage when the rear wheels slip or spin, then disengage after a short period of normal driving. so for the most part your driving in 2WD

My Grand Cherokee has both options for Full and Part time 4WD.

these are basic explanations of how they work. hope it helps.

There is a big difference between an AWD and a 4WD, and a big difference between Full time and Part time.

AWD - uses a syncro, hydraulic or clutch style transfer case. which allows all 4 wheels to spin at different speeds but still giving all the wheels a bit of torque in slippery conditions.
This also falls under the fancy computer controlled AWD's as well

4WD - uses a chain or gears in a transfer case to lock the front and rear differentials together, so no matter what there is one rear and one front wheel spinning. This is (according to Jeep) called Part Time 4WD. meaning you will only drive with it engaged for a part of the time.

A Full Time 4WD transfer case is something that can be left engaged, Full Time. It will automatically engage when the rear wheels slip or spin, then disengage after a short period of normal driving. so for the most part your driving in 2WD

My Grand Cherokee has both options for Full and Part time 4WD.

these are basic explanations of how they work. hope it helps.
That's what a lot of vehicles have now. Auto engage 4wd basically.

So AWD has a center diff and 4WD doesn't have a center diff?

There's AWD, or 4WD(?), systems with lockable center diffs... and the front/rear diffs too, controlled by a computer to steer torque to the non-spinning wheels.

:confused:

As a general rule; I only used 4WD when i could tell I was losing/lost traction, turn on 4x4, turn it back off when I get traction again.
Now im driving a 2WD mazda pickup, never ran into any problems yet

So AWD has a center diff and 4WD doesn't have a center diff?

There's AWD, or 4WD(?), systems with lockable center diffs... and the front/rear diffs too, controlled by a computer to steer torque to the non-spinning wheels.

:confused:

what you call a 'center diff' I call a 'transfer case', Unless there is an actual 'differential' in between the front and rear axles. That is something completely different.

The power from the engine goes through the transmission out to a intermediate case then out the back to the rear differential.
but the case has a offset front output yolk that is sent up the the front differential. Whats inside the 'case' is where all the magic happens.

Thou, thinking more about it, there is another configuration, in the above description this is assuming the engine is mounted in the traditional way.
With the engine mounted sideways, in some cases, there is no external transfer case. its built right into the transmission. The AWD Dodge Caravans are like this, the older ones anyway.

basically, AWD is built to run all the time. 4WD is not.

Back
Top Bottom