Stubborn permissions.

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I have a folder that I can't use due to "not having permissions". I can't copy files from the folder, can't move the folder, nothing. Not as admin, not as my user, etc. I can go in and try to change the permissions and it says I have full control. I really don't get it and it's a hard thing to explain...

Could the drive be on the outs? It is old...

please let me know folder permission issue in windows machine or linux machine?

Check the folder owenership and permission (Read,write and execute)

Not likely to be a drive problem.

I actually have a great tool which simplifies Microsoft's process as outlined here: How do I restore security settings to a known working state?

The files are on my server here: http://www.amdarchive.com/permissionreset

To use the program, download the two files to a folder somewhere other than the folder you're having problems with. I recommend C:\permissionreset to keep things simple.

RIGHT click on the fpermission.bat file and choose Edit (or Open With > Notepad)

You should see this:

Code:
cd \
"k:\!!Tools\Permission Reset\subinacl.exe" /subdirectories j:\*.* /setowner=Everyone /Grant=Everyone
ECHO Permissions Modified.
PAUSE

If you kept with my suggestion earlier to download it to the C:\Permissionreset folder, you'd change the contents to look like this:

Code:
cd \
"C:\permissionreset\subinacl.exe" /subdirectories j:\*.* /setowner=Everyone /Grant=Everyone
PAUSE

If you'll notice I changed the k:\ part to the location of the files.

The next part is for the actual folder where you're having problems. See where it says j:\*.* ? Just change that part to where you are having problems.

For example, if the location of the affected folder was C:\Users\Bob\Desktop\StupidFolder, I'd change the lines to look like this:

Code:
cd \
"C:\permissionreset\subinacl.exe" /subdirectories C:\Users\Bob\Desktop\StupidFolder /setowner=Everyone /Grant=Everyone
PAUSE

Then all you do is go to File, Save and then close the notepad.

Next, double click on the fpermission.bat file and let it work its magic. Don't worry, as long as you didn't change anything else, the file won't delete anything or screw anything else up.

If you have any problems getting it to work, let me know, tell us what the file path to your affected folder is, and I'll edit the code for you and give you what you need to put in the batch file.

This works with Windows XP, Vista, and 7.

if the above doesnt work run a chkdsk as the folder could be corupted

AMAZING tool you've got there. VERY handy.

But...unfortunately it didn't work for me. The thing ran just fine, but...

Code:
 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\Steel Bath Suicide [1998]\11 - The Aardvark Trail
.mp3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\Steel Bath Suicide [1998]\Thumbs.db - CreateFile
Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\Sworn To A Great Divide [2007]\01 - Sworn To A Gr
eat Divide.mp3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the
 client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\Sworn To A Great Divide [2007]\02 - Exile.mp3 - C
reateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\Sworn To A Great Divide [2007]\03 - Breeding Thor
ns.mp3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\Sworn To A Great Divide [2007]\04 - Your Beloved
Scapegoat.mp3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the
client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\Sworn To A Great Divide [2007]\05 - The Pittsburg
h Syndrome.mp3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the
 client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\Sworn To A Great Divide [2007]\06 - I, Vermin.mp3
 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\Sworn To A Great Divide [2007]\07 - Light Discove
ring Darkness.mp3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by
the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\Sworn To A Great Divide [2007]\08 - As The Sleepe
r Awakes.mp3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the c
lient.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\Sworn To A Great Divide [2007]\09 - Silent Bullet

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\Sworn To A Great Divide [2007]\10 - Sick Heart Ri
ver.mp3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\Sworn To A Great Divide [2007]\11 - 20 More Miles

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\Sworn To A Great Divide [2007]\Thumbs.db - Create
File Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\The Chainheart Machine [2000]\01 - Chainheart Mac
hine.mp3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the clien
t.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\The Chainheart Machine [2000]\02 - Bulletbeast.mp
3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\The Chainheart Machine [2000]\03 - Millionflame.m
p3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\The Chainheart Machine [2000]\04 - Generation Spe
edkill.mp3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the cli
ent.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\The Chainheart Machine [2000]\05 - Neon Rebels.mp

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\The Chainheart Machine [2000]\06 - Possessing The
 Angels.mp3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the cl
ient.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\The Chainheart Machine [2000]\07 - Spirits Of The
 Future Sun.mp3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by th
e client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\The Chainheart Machine [2000]\08 - Machinegun Maj
esty.mp3 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the clien
t.

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\The Chainheart Machine [2000]\09 - Room No. 99.mp

o:\Phone Backup\media\Soilwork\The Early Chapters [EP] [2004]\Thumbs.db - Create
File Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\01 - The Venom Inside.mp3 - CreateFile Error
 : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\02 - Frozen In Time.mp3 - CreateFile Error :
 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\03 - Coming Alive.mp3 - CreateFile Error : 1
314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\04 - Secrets Of The Dead.mp3 - CreateFile Er
ror : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\05 - The Disappearing Sun.mp3 - CreateFile E
rror : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\06 - Impending Doom.mp3 - CreateFile Error :

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\07 - On Broken Glass.mp3 - CreateFile Error
: 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\08 - Destroy And Dominate.mp3 - CreateFile E
rror : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\09 - Try To Survive.mp3 - CreateFile Error :

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\10 - The Heart Of It All.mp3 - CreateFile Er
ror : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\AlbumArtSmall.jpg - CreateFile Error : 1314
A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\AlbumArt_{B67FF55F-BC9A-447F-9B97-CBD51DE288
1A}_Large.jpg - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the
client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\AlbumArt_{B67FF55F-BC9A-447F-9B97-CBD51DE288
1A}_Small.jpg - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the
client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\desktop.ini - CreateFile Error : 1314 A requ
ired privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\media\The Infection\Folder.jpg - CreateFile Error : 1314 A requi
red privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\musical\midi - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is n
ot held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\my_flix\P90X 01 - Chest & Back.mp4 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A r
equired privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\my_flix\P90X 02 - Plyometrics.mp4 - CreateFile Error : 1314 A re
quired privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\PicSay\.temp - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is n
ot held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\PicSay\recent - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is
not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\prettybattery-googlecode-com\default.zip - CreateFile Error : 13
14 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\shortcovers\data - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege
is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\shortcovers\data\database - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required p
rivilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\shortcovers\data\database\shortcovers - CreateFile Error : 1314

o:\Phone Backup\steel\bookmarks.txt - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privile
ge is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\steel\downloads - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege i
s not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\steel\history.dat - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege

o:\Phone Backup\steel\history.xml - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege

o:\Phone Backup\steel\prefs.dat - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege i
s not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\steel\downloads\icetea1.3_win.zip - CreateFile Error : 1314 A re
quired privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\steel\downloads\msinst.rar - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required
privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\steel\downloads\mspformat - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required p

o:\Phone Backup\steel\downloads\Setup_MagicISO.exe - CreateFile Error : 1314 A r
equired privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\steel\downloads\TMACv5_R3_Setup.zip - CreateFile Error : 1314 A
required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\top\img_74070.bin - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege

o:\Phone Backup\top\img_75013.bin - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege

o:\Phone Backup\top\img_79950.bin - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege

o:\Phone Backup\top\img_79952.bin - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege

o:\Phone Backup\top\img_79953.bin - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege

o:\Phone Backup\top\img_80364.bin - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege

o:\Phone Backup\top\img_82747.bin - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege

o:\Phone Backup\top\img_82807.bin - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege

o:\Phone Backup\top\img_82822.bin - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege

o:\Phone Backup\videos\Dream Theater - As I Am Live.mp4 - CreateFile Error : 131
4 A required privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\WalkieTalkie2\history - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privi
lege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\WalkieTalkie2\history.xml - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required p

o:\Phone Backup\WalkieTalkie2\record - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privil
ege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\WalkieTalkie2\sendto.xml - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required pr
ivilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\WalkieTalkie2\history\198.ptt - CreateFile Error : 1314 A requir
ed privilege is not held by the client.

o:\Phone Backup\WalkieTalkie2\history\199.ptt - CreateFile Error : 1314 A requir

o:\Phone Backup\WalkieTalkie2\history\200.ptt - CreateFile Error : 1314 A requir

o:\Phone Backup\WalkieTalkie2\history\202.ptt - CreateFile Error : 1314 A requir

o:\Phone Backup\WalkieTalkie2\history\203.ptt - CreateFile Error : 1314 A requir

o:\Phone Backup\WalkieTalkie2\history\204.ptt - CreateFile Error : 1314 A requir

o:\Phone Backup\WalkieTalkie2\history\205.ptt - CreateFile Error : 1314 A requir

o:\Phone Backup\WalkieTalkie2\history\208.ptt - CreateFile Error : 1314 A requir

o:\Phone Backup\WalkieTalkie2\history\214.ptt - CreateFile Error : 1314 A requir

o:\Phone Backup\WalkieTalkie2\history\219.ptt - CreateFile Error : 1314 A requir

o:\Phone Backup\wifiScan\wifiScan-2009-6-6-9-32-1.csv - CreateFile Error : 1314

o:\Phone Backup\wifiScan\wifiScan-2009-6-6-9-32-1.kml - CreateFile Error : 1314

o:\Phone Backup\wifiScan\wifiScan.csv - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privi

o:\Phone Backup\wifiScan\wifiScan.kml - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privi

o:\PSP_Firmware_503\EBOOT.PBP - CreateFile Error : 1314 A required privilege is
not held by the client.

o:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1374456138-1951740844-2767024251-1007 - CreateFile Error :

o:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3195381490-2385783981-3920373362-1008 - CreateFile Error :

o:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-746137067-813497703-854245398-1004 - CreateFile Error : 131
4 A required privilege is not held by the client.

Elapsed Time: 00 00:01:45
Done:   100586, Modified        0, Failed   100586, Syntax errors        0
Last Done  : o:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-746137067-813497703-854245398-1004
Last Failed: o:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-746137067-813497703-854245398-1004 - CreateFil
e Error : 1314 A required privilege is not held by the client.

K:\>ECHO Permissions Modified.
Permissions Modified.

K:\>PAUSE
Press any key to continue . . .

It ran into the same problem I had...insufficient privilages...

I did. Same issue. Gets about 18% through and stops.

I do lots of repair work for people and have lots of tools that I use for formatting drives, recovering data, etc and this crazy idea just popped into my head:

I use Piriform's Recuva to recover data has been deleted or after having to format a drive. Maybe I can format the thing and run recuva to get it back...would that change the permissions any? Maybe by deleting the data and recovering it, it would reset the permissions...???

You've got it showing up on the O drive there. Is that a network drive? This tool works best on local drives.

Sounds like the hard-drive has an error / coruption? have you got access to a cloning program like nortan ghost? If yes you could try to clone the data on to a hard-drive we know is clear of errors

I tried to ghost the drive before...the drive didn't show up. Any other software recommendations for imaging the drive? I'd really like to image it!

Yes, it is a local drive. It's an external USB drive attached directly to the puter.

Back
Top Bottom