Banned words for 2011

-.- wow... look at all the fail.... my school banned shirts that have any words on them unless they are "authorized" by the principal.....
Just get them authorized?

I guess we can take this as a warning never to hire anyone who graduated from Lake Superior State. Seriously, this is what they're spending their time on instead of studying something useful?

Actually from what I remember about the article, it's only one guy (a professor i think) who does it.

Actually from what I remember about the article, it's only one guy (a professor i think) who does it.

I don't know, it looks like every word on the list has a quote associated with it written by a different student. I could have read it wrong, I guess. It doesn't matter, it's stuck in my head now that Lake Superior State has a ridiculous curriculum...

The "back story" on LSSU's popular list began on Jan. 1, 1976, when former LSSU Public Relations Director Bill Rabe and a group of friends each contributed a few expressions that they disliked to form the first list. After that, the nominations stacked up for future lists and Rabe's group, known then as The Unicorn Hunters, didn't have to make up its own list again. LSSU receives well over 1,000 nominations annually through its website, lssu.edu/banished.

It seems the quote is probably from whoever submitted the word.

More on the Unicorn Hunters: LINK

I've never heard anyone use facebook as a verb, but I understand using google as one. It's just much simpler to say than any of the alternatives.

"Google mustangs" vs "Search for mustangs"

is one more small word (for) so much more difficult?

seriously.

-.- wow... look at all the fail.... my school banned shirts that have any words on them unless they are "authorized" by the principal.....
Thats amazing. So... You are allowed to wear solid coloured T-shirts?
We have to have writing of some sort, or at least an "acceptable" picture on our shirts. Its county law. States that solid coloured shirts being worn inside of county buildings is considered "gang flagging" and carries a 30 Day jail sentence.

"Google mustangs" vs "Search for mustangs"

is one more small word (for) so much more difficult?

seriously.

Search != google search. If someone told me to search for mustangs, I'd be very confused because it sounds like they are telling me to go look for a real mustang.

Thats amazing. So... You are allowed to wear solid coloured T-shirts?
We have to have writing of some sort, or at least an "acceptable" picture on our shirts. Its county law. States that solid coloured shirts being worn inside of county buildings is considered "gang flagging" and carries a 30 Day jail sentence.

What? Give me a link to the law. I cannot find anything.

I don't have a link. I got it from the school handbook, as well as several signs at the county municipal building.

What I find funny, in going back and re-reading the list again, is that the whole thing is supposed to be a joke, a publicity stunt by the college to get some attention once a year. However, many of the people who submitted words to make the list seem to take it very seriously, as though the words were really going to be banned.

To be serious, most of the language used today is used improperly. It's not uncommon at all to hear nouns used as verbs. When so much communications happens in less than 160 characters, it is not suprising to see shortened and improper usage of words/phrases/etc.

The person who submitted the Google/Facebook as a verb thing is fighting a total losing battle. Although none of these are common, everyone knows exactly what he means when he says:
i.e. 'I'm going to Twitter a few people, then Yahoo the movie listings and maybe Amazon a book or two."

In fact, that is the perfect tweet or facebook status update...

Search != google search. If someone told me to search for mustangs, I'd be very confused because it sounds like they are telling me to go look for a real mustang.

welcome to the ambiguity factor. probably could be lesser reduced by using 'research' instead of 'search', although, it could be construed as being told to search again...

also, you would probably not search for a fake mustang... you would just happen upon one in your travels searching :)

Back
Top Bottom