ubuntu and windows 7

chuckshriner

Baseband Member
i want to put both os's on my laptop but ive never installed 2 os's side by side so which do i install first? is there certain things i need to do when installing windows? i know i need to make a serparate partition for both os's but i know nothing after that.

Hi,

You will want to install windows before you install ubuntu. This has to do with the mbr setup. The only other thing that I can think of is that you will want to make sure that you choose to allow ubuntu to make the partitions for you if you haven't ever played with the ubuntu installer. Linux labels partitions differently than windows, and I wouldn't want you to mess up your windows install because you were confused about a partition.

Cheers!

As wmorri said, install Widows first.

Once you have done that put the ubuntu disk in and reboot and just follow the setup process. The disk partitioning bit of the install is pretty easy as its just a bar that you slide from left to right to allocate how much of your HDD you want for Ubuntu and how much for Windows. Its really a no brainer :)

Ubuntu is great at detecting other OS'es and partitioning accordingly, definitely an easy process.

I have my netbook set up this way, just install Windows first, then Ubuntu and it should be pretty painless.

You should install win7 first, then ubuntu will help you to install the partitions and boot sectors

Well I think that we have figured that step out. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Back
Top Bottom