Do I have enough power to run this?

jrs6494

Baseband Member
Okay so I am getting a few new parts for my PC and I am not sure if I need a bigger power supply. Please help, thanks.

Current ps Thermaltake 750w
Mobo: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 125W
GPU: Radeon HD 4870 1gig
GPU: Radeon HD 4650 1gig
HD1: Western Digital caviar black 500gig
HD2: Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm
Ram: G. Skill ripjaw DDR3 1333 12gigs 3x 4gig
DVD-RW drive
Also have 3 220mm fans with leds (leds optional), 120mm fan and the Corsair hydro 50 cooler for cpu.

Will my 750w power supply be able to handle this? I do play some games like Battlefield: Bad company 2 and Eve-online. I run 3 Eve-online clients at once. Thanks for any feedback.

You don't need more than 750W, 750W would be overkill in the first place. I do however have some recommendations if you don't have the parts already:

Change the power supply. Thermaltake units aren't very good at all. Stick to Antec, Corsair, Be Quiet!, Silverstone, SeaSonic, Enermax or XFX. There are other good brands, however, pretty much every unit from these manufacturers are good units, and their suport/warranty service are great too. If you have another unit in mind that isn't one of those manufacturers, post it up.

Why a 4870 + 4650? If you are planning on putting them in crossfire, you can't, you can only run crossfire with cards that have the first 2 numbers the same, for example a 4850 and a 4870. The only exception to this is if you have a 5970, they will work with any 58xx card, because a 5970 is 2 5870's on one PCB. If you plan on running 2 monitors on the 4870 + another on the 4650, that would work, but it would probably be a better option to get a single card with in your price range that has more outputs. You will get more power from it most probably.

For the hard drive, take a 320GB Samsung F4 over a WD Caviar Black, the F4 is about the same performance as a 10k RPM WD Velociraptor, but for less and only 7200RPM. I assume that the Hitatchi drive is for storage. If this is the case, take a WD, Samsung or SeaGate .12 drive over the Hitatchi, and make sure it is a green drive so it uses less power, spins less and so therefore lasts longer. I wouldn't go for Hitatchi, because reliability and performance are below the standards of the other manufacturers.

The memory kit you chose is triple channel, it is designed for socket 1366 motherboards, which use triple channel rather than dual channel memory. 12GB is overkill anyway, but because you will have 3 instances of a game open at once, 8GB would be too much, but better than 4GB. A 2 x 4GB set is the better option.

Well thank you for the input. I am glad to hear I have enough power but I thought thermaltake was good, oh well.

I already have the video cards and when I bought them I didn't quite understand crossfire like I do now. Once I have some xtra cash I was thinking about upgrading the one card but that is for another day.

Already have the hard drives so I am sticking with them. Now would the memory work on this board? Do you recommend different ram? I am looking at 4gig sticks. I thought this ram looked good and would work in my mobo. Thanks.

Stick with 750W power supply, switch to OCZ brand imo. Stick with 6GB+ of memory 8 is recommended, 12 is excellent.

Well thank you for the input. I am glad to hear I have enough power but I thought thermaltake was good, oh well.

I already have the video cards and when I bought them I didn't quite understand crossfire like I do now. Once I have some xtra cash I was thinking about upgrading the one card but that is for another day.

Already have the hard drives so I am sticking with them. Now would the memory work on this board? Do you recommend different ram? I am looking at 4gig sticks. I thought this ram looked good and would work in my mobo. Thanks.

The memory would work, but 1 stick only in single channel, so would be slower. I would recommend either a 2 x 2 GB set or 2 x 4 GB set.

4 GB: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL

or

8 GB: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

would be better options, assuming you are in US

RipJaws.

OCZ DDR2 memory is exceptional, their DDR3 however, they used cheap, low quality components, meaning they run hotter, use more power, overclock worse and generally are worse than nearly every other manufacturer, except for other manufacturer's budget lines. There is a reason OCZ DDR3 memory is usually cheaper than most others, and it is because of the components they use

With Corsair MIR's, consider it as though there isn't a MIR, they are so finicky with them and unless you send it off perfectly, they will void it, and I am talking if package isn't up to spec, if you don't include your address in the correct place, there are so many ridiculous things they will void it on. Also, from the second you buy it, you start to accumulate costs on that MIR, so when you go to cash it in, it will not be $20 off, it will be less after charges.

I would go with the Antec, or with:

Newegg.com - SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Newegg.com - XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

The 2 I posted are modular, or rather semi-modular, meaning that the cables can be detatched, so there are less cables and less clutter. 600W is more than your system will use, so even though mine are 620 and 650W, 100W less than the Antec, it is still plenty.

Which ever of the 3 you pick, they will be great units

Back
Top Bottom