Graphics card going bad?

Fanatic4Christ

Daemon Poster
Well when I play black ops I keep having it freeze up lately and last night the floor of a building turned black, then my gun turned black, then the enemy turned black, THEN my video card froze and crashed... I had to restart. I've reinstalled drivers 3 times by deleting the registry and using a driver sweeper and still this happens. When it started to happen was when I overclocked it a little bit by like 50mhz each side and it started by giving me "ATI2DVAG.dll" blue screens often, now its where I can only play for about 20-30 minutes then it crashes... I ran fur mark while I slept and I wanted to do it for 1 hour but fell asleep and ran it for 7 1/2 hours. It ran the whole time and didn't crash.. Any help?

idle temp = 40c
load temp= 86c-89c

Is it the card in your sig, and is it still overclocked now? If it is, take overclocks off and see if it works with problems then. If it doesn't, it would appear that BO doesn't like your card overclocked.

Though 9 times out of 10 stress tests will find problems, not always, prime95 can let unstable CPU's pass, memtest can let bad memory pass

Is it the card in your sig, and is it still overclocked now? If it is, take overclocks off and see if it works with problems then. If it doesn't, it would appear that BO doesn't like your card overclocked.

Though 9 times out of 10 stress tests will find problems, not always, prime95 can let unstable CPU's pass, memtest can let bad memory pass
Yeah my GPU isn't overclocked anymore, first thing I did was turn it down.

It is the card in my sig, ATI HD3850 512mb

Well I would look to your power supply. It is an off brand, very low quality unit. An overclock will usually kill rather than damage components, so I doubt that your video card has been damaged, however, overstressing your power supply can, and often will if it is low quality, cause problems OR kill them completely

If you have a spare computer that can also game, put the parts into that computer and see if you get the problem there. If you don't get the problem with the power supply or the video card in those computers then it is probably a software problem, not necessarily with drivers, but it could be a Direct X or even BO itself that is causing the problem

Well I would look to your power supply. It is an off brand, very low quality unit. An overclock will usually kill rather than damage components, so I doubt that your video card has been damaged, however, overstressing your power supply can, and often will if it is low quality, cause problems OR kill them completely

If you have a spare computer that can also game, put the parts into that computer and see if you get the problem there. If you don't get the problem with the power supply or the video card in those computers then it is probably a software problem, not necessarily with drivers, but it could be a Direct X or even BO itself that is causing the problem

This power supply was put in mid october so it's not very old. I have another power supply that is a 585w that I can try.

This power supply was put in mid october so it's not very old. I have another power supply that is a 585w that I can try.

Wattage means very, very little, a 380W Antec Earthwatts will put out more than your 585W unit will do and be putting out cleaner power whilst doing so, quality and 12V rail amperage means much more, higher quality means cleaner power, higher output and better protection, more amps on the 12V rails means there is more power going to the 12V rails, which is where most of your components are taking their power from.

You can try it, it should still work just fine and tell you if the power supply is your culprit, but unless it is from a decent manufacturer, I wouldn't keep it in there

have you tried running the game at lower res?
or try another game that graphics intense

Wattage means very, very little, a 380W Antec Earthwatts will put out more than your 585W unit will do and be putting out cleaner power whilst doing so, quality and 12V rail amperage means much more, higher quality means cleaner power, higher output and better protection, more amps on the 12V rails means there is more power going to the 12V rails, which is where most of your components are taking their power from.

You can try it, it should still work just fine and tell you if the power supply is your culprit, but unless it is from a decent manufacturer, I wouldn't keep it in there

Yeah its a hec 585w PSU. From my understanding hec isn't so bad
+3.3V@36A, +5V@36A, +12V1@19A, +12V2@20A, -12V@1A, +5Vsb@2A

have you tried running the game at lower res?
or try another game that graphics intense

I have a 15" monitor so i'm already running at 1024x768 =\
I have ran 3dmark06 and it doesn't crash with that..

I assume it is a HEC Orion unit? If so, I would not bother putting it in, it is a truly dreadful unit to say the absolute least and in nearly any system, it is just disaster waiting to happen. It lacks so many safety features to protect against malfunction, which the extremely low quality and under-rated parts will most probably end up doing.

HEC make some alright units, but they span from the utter crap units to the good-at-best end of the market. They will never be competing with the more reputable brands all the time that they carry on making the sort of units that they are now

Back
Top Bottom