Computer

jimwatson

Solid State Member
Computer wont power down

OK, here it is. I'm on my wits end.
The computer wont shut down running windows 7, it looks like its shutting down but then the screen goes black, the HD turns off but the fans keep turning and the LEDs stay on. Here is my build: (the computer is new and just put together)

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 4GB 2X2GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

LG GH22NP20 Black DVD+RW 22X8X16 DVD-RW 22X6X16 DL 16X/12X 2MB IDE OEM

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM

Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 775MHZ 1GB 4.0GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Mini DisplayPort HDMI PCI-E Video Card

MSI 790GX-G65 ATX AM3 790GX DDR3 2PCI-E16 CrossFire 2PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SATA GBLAN Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 6 Core Processor 2.8GHZ Socket AM3 Retail Box

OCZ B-Stock GameXStream 600W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

If everything is shutting down, but not stopping, I would say it is either your motherboard or PSU. It shouldn't be a hardware problem, because it is only things directly on the PSU (I assume molex fans) that are still running.

The fact that your PSU is already a not great unit, and on top of that B Grade, is probably your reason why. The PSU is indisputably the most important important part of your system, the fact that you crapped out on it wasn't really a smart move.

You can find out for certain if it is your power supply by either putting the unit in another system and trying to shut down, or by putting a known working unit into your current computer, and see if that works.

If the PSU is the problem, use it as a great opportunity to upgrade to a decent one, even if it means saving for it

If everything is shutting down, but not stopping, I would say it is either your motherboard or PSU. It shouldn't be a hardware problem, because it is only things directly on the PSU (I assume molex fans) that are still running.

The fact that your PSU is already a not great unit, and on top of that B Grade, is probably your reason why. The PSU is indisputably the most important important part of your system, the fact that you crapped out on it wasn't really a smart move.

You can find out for certain if it is your power supply by either putting the unit in another system and trying to shut down, or by putting a known working unit into your current computer, and see if that works.

If the PSU is the problem, use it as a great opportunity to upgrade to a decent one, even if it means saving for it

This computer is for a friend, I put my 650W psu in there already.. is 650W enough, my computer is around the same specs as this new one and runs fine. It had the same problem with my CPU in it.
Also how did you know its "B grade"? I am not familiar with PSU quality, I thought as long as it has high wattage it would be fine? (never had problems before)

This computer is for a friend, I put my 650W psu in there already.. is 650W enough, my computer is around the same specs as this new one and runs fine. It had the same problem with my CPU in it.
Also how did you know its "B grade"? I am not familiar with PSU quality, I thought as long as it has high wattage it would be fine? (never had problems before)

It would depend on what 650W PSU this is. Wattage means very little in reality, a low quality, much lower wattage unit will output more poweer than a cheaper, higher wattage unit will do.

As for the B-Grade thing, you said so yourself:

OCZ B-Stock GameXStream 600W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

OK, deeper into the story: I built two of these computers but they were out of stock for "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus 600W ATX 12V V2.3 Silent Power Supply 20/24PIN 120MM Fan" so I put the "[/FONT]OCZ B-Stock GameXStream 600W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black" into the one that is having trouble. The other computer runs perfectly fine. Is the coolermaster better?

The psu I put into the tower having trouble is antec (dont know the specifics, I'm at school i will get them once I'm home)

Also when I tested PSU I took off all fans and the dvd-drive to cut as much power as possible. Still no avail.
Thanks for helping me out :) it's driving me nuts.

If the 650W you put in the other unit is the Antec one, you have no worries there, Antec sell excellent power supplies.

The coolermaster unit is alright, there are better, but it isn't a bad unit, about the same sort of quality as the OCZ units. They are by no means bad units, but they are just not all that good units when compared to the "better" brands.

Hmmm so if the antec should power (and also shut down) this rig then its not the psu correct?

Let me get this straight:

The Antec doesn't turn the computer off
The OCZ doesn't turn the computer off
You haven't tried the coolermaster unit

Assuming thatis correct, if either of the Antec or OCZ units work properly on another computer, you can say for certain that the power supply is not the problem

Back
Top Bottom