Installing new DVD/CD rewritable drive

fried_egg

Beta member
Hi guys,well I'm new here so hello to everyone and glad to have found a good site like this :) Anyway,the last time I messed around with my comp I ended up frying a memory stick cos I didn't take off my rings,watch etc and had the comp sitting on the carpet which I've been told is not good.Could anyone tell me the correct precautions for uninstalling an old non-functioning drive for a new one please...without knackering anything?

Thank you.

Piece of cake. Set the PC up on a table top. Ensure that you are working on an antistatic mat or have an antistatic wrist strap if you're extra nervous. I've never had any problems though by following this process:

- Set up the PC on a table or desk
- Ensure that you don't have anything conductive on, as you mentioned
- Leave the PC power cord connected, touch a metal frame part of the computer, like around the outer edges of the case.
- UNPLUG the power cord and any other cables if you haven't done so already
- Perform your task as necessary (remove the HDD, etc)
- Reassemble system
- Plug in, turn on.

Voila.

The idea behind leaving it plugged in is that when you have it connected to a grounded outlet, and you touch the frame, you ground yourself and the PC out, and THEN you unplug the power. This is a universally recommended process for working on any type of computer or electronic equipment.

Thank you og for your very comprehensive reply,I'll take note of your advice...especially about the plugging then unplugging of the power cord.However,one question....I don't think I have an antistatic mat (whatever that is lol).Would sitting on a wooden chair do?Or would a rubber car mat do?

Thanks mate....

it doesn't matter much what you sit on usually. Unless you know it generates a lot of static electricity, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've sat in wool lined chairs on shag carpets and changed hardware before - I was just insanely careful about what I was doing!

Don't worry about the antistatic mat. I'd only suggest getting one if you made it a regular thing to change out hardware. Antistatic wrist straps are available at just about any PC hardware store, or online. They're good to have, but also, not required.

The idea is just to touch anything that is metal and grounded before you do any work or touch any components.

Hi og,well as usual I've proven to be the kiss of death when meddling with computers.I followed your recommendations,installed the new DVD rom and plugged the comp back in.And then 'crack' as I pressed the on button,the monitor said 'no signal' and a mate of mine has taken it away suggesting it may need a new motherboard and processor.Hopefully he can sort it for a small fee but I just don't understand what I did wrong,I'm starting to think I must generate massive amounts of static electricity.I'm certainly not going to attempt trying anything myself again,me and DIY on comps don't mix.

Generally, touching a metal object that is grounded once is adequate unless you have something else going on. I usually touch a metal object during my builds every 10 minutes just to be safe, but it's generally not needed.

Back
Top Bottom