BearShare !@#$%^&*

JerryB1

Baseband Member
:mad:How do I instruct my friend on how to get rid of BearShare and all the other crap it puts on your machine???
This is what she wrote to me:

i went ahead and tried to download frostwire and i got this stupid bearshare which i cannot get rid of it took over my google where is my google not only that it will not let me remove from uninstall programs it puts a block onletting me get rid of it please help me get rid of this crap

Thanks for the help...

If you can give me a legal use for either program I'll help you but otherwise we cannot help with these types of programs here.

That's actually my point. Both bearshare and frostwire are used for sharing copy-writed material such as music and movies which we cannot help you with in any way.

there are items on Bearshare and others that are not copy-writed. its those that chose what to download.

If you can give me a legal use for either program I'll help you but otherwise we cannot help with these types of programs here.

There is nothing illegal about the programs themselves. I don't see anything wrong with helping him to get rid of it.....

If it won't allow you to uninstall it the old fashioned way, then try deleting the folders/files in Program Files that refer to it. Then try running CCleaner in registry mode to remove the references to it in the registry. If that doesn't work, then it may take a long, involved process of manually searching for the registry keys that refer to it and deleting them. To get a better idea of where files/registry keys that reference the program are located, run msconfig and look under the Startup tab. Look for any startup items that reference Bearshare or whatever and look under Command to find the executable file associated with it and look under Location to find the registry keys associated with it. Of course, formatting and reinstalling the OS is always an option...

I disagree, there is "some" legal content but anyhow, I don't see why you won't help as we are helping him remove the software not installing it so in reality we're preventing copyright infringement and making a RIAA rep smile....
On topic now, I'd get malwarebytes and run that also.

The program itself is NOT illegal. In fact, Bearshare went legit now, didn't they? Only the content being transferred can be classified as "illegal".
Can you uninstall the program in safe mode?

Back
Top Bottom