Prunes

Indigo

Fully Optimized
I'm all for maintaining a technical site with enough posts to make the library of congress look like an amateur, but as with most BB systems, there exists a pruning option. I know people get all bent out of shape over necroposting sometimes, but I guess I'm posing two things here.

First, what is CF's stance now on necroposting, and secondly, if necroposting isn't really desired, can't we just prune some of these forums down to keep the most interesting and fresh posts up in the forefront of everyone's attention?

Having a dedicated forum to dump posts, i.e. an archive, usually comes with forum software anyway, so we're not really losing anything.

Well the forums are sorted by date anyway so the newest/most recently replied to thread will always be first anyway so I don't think the old threads are causing any issue. The way I see it, the threads are like history, we can't just erase it for no reason!

i dont think old threads are causing an issue. The newer ones are shown at the top. + If we were to archive posts in to a different forum this would cause a problem with SEO and traffic will drop

It might be a good idea to have a reminder when you try to reply to an old thread... But I think that deleting the messages is a bit extreme!

Deleting is not a good idea as that gets rid of a lot of good information. Plus, anyone who reads the rules (as all new members should), would know that threads are considered dead after 30-days and shouldn't be posted in.

I never said delete. I said prune. There's a difference. ;)

that being said, I don't want someone to rip me a new one because I post to a thread in a forum that is over 3 weeks old, but is still near the top of the thread list. I almost never go to page 2 on the forums unless I'm bored, and I never post replies to posts I find on page 2 unless that forum is EXTREMELY active, which, to date on CF, hasn't happened. I reply to all posts on the first page.

Back
Top Bottom