Can anyone help me?

ericthenguyen

Solid State Member
Hi there,
I'm new to Computer Forums and have been meddling with a laptop for the past few weeks and have finally decided to call it quits to ask for help online from other people.

I understand that "Computer Forum" may not necessarily mean "Laptops included". If this isn't where it's supposed to be, you may disregard this.

Okay basically what I have in hand is an Acer Aspire 5735Z laptop that has two major issues.
First of all. The previous owner has forgotten the BIOS password and therefore I cannot reformat via CD-boot.
Second of all. He also tampered with the OS, and now vista is in-operative and in addition to that will not start up.

All i really need is a fix to restore/reset the BIOS password so I can reformat.
I have already tried removing the CMOS battery for several hours, flashing the BIOS. But nothing seems to be working.

I'm really stumped with this guys, and I would plea a king if you were to assist me in my troubles.

Okay so this is the error page when it gets to the "Windows Installation" page.
Says that I'm missing winload.exe
windowserror.png
windowserror.png
http://img80.imageshack.us/i/windowserror.png/

Then this is the menu that I have automatically when I boot it.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I seriously cannot boot any form of windows and am stuck in the POST menus.
Also, this is the password error I have, if any of you have encountered the System Code before and have a solution, that would be most helpful.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
It says [System Disabled : 14265] If you can't read it properly.

I sincerely thank anyone that can help me with this issue.
The catch is... This isn't my laptop (yet), but if i can fix it. I get to keep it.

I can see that this problem is getting on your nerves. Firstly, you need to reset the BIOS password and just reformat the whole system (hard drive). Removing the CMOS battery for few hours is not enough. You have to disconnect any source of power from the laptop. This will include the laptop batter as well (ALL POWER SOURCE). Leave it disconnected for a day or two (long but better). If you are still having problem the below link will help you too:
How to Reset a BIOS Password
Although you can repair vista by using a vista disk (bootable), I strongly recommend you work on this system from scratch. Acer is not a very good brand, sorry to say, but I can tell that you are one tough guy too :) . I will be following your thread and see how things are going.
All the best.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I found that leaving it out for like... 12 hours or so still isn't enough. Every time I remove the CMOS, I take out the battery and the power plug isn't connected either. I don't know what's wrong with it.
Yeah, I hear a thing or two about acer, they're hard to deal with. I've already tried various methods of resetting my BIOS. Including that one.
I was indeed planning to wipe the system completely and start from scratch. Because there's no guarantee what else might go wrong if i restore it to working order and continue to use it.
The motherboard doesn't have a jumper and I've also replaced the CMOS battery. Still nothing.
Honestly, I'm about to give up, there doesn't seem to be a fix to this at all.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I found that leaving it out for like... 12 hours or so still isn't enough. Every time I remove the CMOS, I take out the battery and the power plug isn't connected either. I don't know what's wrong with it.
Yeah, I hear a thing or two about acer, they're hard to deal with. I've already tried various methods of resetting my BIOS. Including that one.
I was indeed planning to wipe the system completely and start from scratch. Because there's no guarantee what else might go wrong if i restore it to working order and continue to use it.
The motherboard doesn't have a jumper and I've also replaced the CMOS battery. Still nothing.
Honestly, I'm about to give up, there doesn't seem to be a fix to this at all.

Don't replace the hard drive if you are thinking about it. That isn't where it is stored. It is stored in a chip on the motherboard. I still don't think it would be a bright idea to remove it. But still, remove ALL sources of power to the computer. I would let it sit for about 3 days the least. If it still does not work, then I would recommend getting another laptop/computer, just don't get another Acer. A Dell, HP, Compaq, just an example. Something that you know is good. I would recommend an HP Mini. Yes, the RAM in it us upgradeable.

BUT, if you do manage to completely wipe the OS, see if you can get Windows 7. But this is how I wipe hard drives on computers and re-install the OS. (I have done it alot, I know what I am doing)

First, I take the Windows install disk.
I put it in the CD drive. Then I restart the computer.
I let it boot to the CD.
When the Windows installer gives me the option to either: Install Windows, Repair Windows, or Quit, I choose Install Windows.
From there, you accept the aggreement.
When it goes to the hard disk drive you want to install Windows on, choose the drive where your current install is. Delete the current installation.
Continue the installation. The next time your computer reboots, DO NOT boot from the CD. Let the computer fully reboot into the "GUI Installer".
Continue installation.

Reinstalling Windows fixes A LOT of problems.

Don't replace the hard drive if you are thinking about it.That isn't where it is stored. It is stored in a chip on the motherboard.
What I was trying to say was if I replaced the hard-drive and installed a fresh copy of windows, then I would be able to reset the BIOS.
Three days without power? Does that include the CMOS battery aswell?

What I was trying to say was if I replaced the hard-drive and installed a fresh copy of windows, then I would be able to reset the BIOS.
Three days without power? Does that include the CMOS battery aswell?

Yes, I would suggest taking out the CMOS battery as well. Just don't lose it, unless you want to be resetting the time constantly. I also don't think that by installing a fresh copy will fix your bios issue. Remember that Windows has almost no control over the bios. It is stored in a chip on the motherboard. Re-installing Windows will most likely not affect the bios at all. The hard drive also has no effect on the bios, other than giving it information about the hard drive. You will probably need to flash your bios. I think it is replacing the bios, I am not sure. You will need to search it up. Either print out instructions from a help topic, or have it display on a separate computer.

There are various programs in regards to restoring or resetting your virus that need to be executed in windows. That was my best bet. The BIOS isn't a really big deal for me. I just want to run windows, I'll deal with the BIOS after.
But having the BIOS as it is, I can't do much to windows itself. That's where my suggestion with the hard-drive came in. If I am able to install and run windows, i can fix BIOS. If I can fix BIOS I can reinstall windows.
I need one or the other at the current moment, a solution to either would be very helpful.
Cheers.

There are various programs in regards to restoring or resetting your virus that need to be executed in windows. That was my best bet. The BIOS isn't a really big deal for me. I just want to run windows, I'll deal with the BIOS after.
But having the BIOS as it is, I can't do much to windows itself. That's where my suggestion with the hard-drive came in. If I am able to install and run windows, i can fix BIOS. If I can fix BIOS I can reinstall windows.
I need one or the other at the current moment, a solution to either would be very helpful.
Cheers.

Well, you can try this.

Take out your hard drive
Put it in another computer
Re-install Windows that way
Put the hard drive back in the other computer.

I am not sure how to reset the bios, but I think that you can do it with the new OS installed.

Yeah, that sorta hit me like an epiphany. It was like "blam, you can do that".

My brother has a laptop at home, so if leaving the battery out for like days without power won't reset the BIOS, that might be my only way.
Thankfully enough it will fit and the method might work.
Thanks for the extra info and all the suggestions to get my mind to tick
Appreciate it.

Yeah, that sorta hit me like an epiphany. It was like "blam, you can do that".

My brother has a laptop at home, so if leaving the battery out for like days without power won't reset the BIOS, that might be my only way.
Thankfully enough it will fit and the method might work.
Thanks for the extra info and all the suggestions to get my mind to tick
Appreciate it.

You're welcome!

Back
Top Bottom