Haunted computer

Definitely make sure you are exercising adequate ESD prevention techniques when installing the memory. One tiny jolt can cause issues. I'd also perform a CMOS/BIOS reset before putting the new RAM in, and setting the BIOS to load safe or optimized defaults before running the system beyond that. If MemTest is saying there are errors, then you can count on there being errors. Windows Memory Diagnostic does not run the same low level tests that MemTest does.

Thanks og. Just for fun, last night wanted to reboot at some point, and guess what? "shut down" was the only option available ("restart" and "log off" were inactive) o_O. It's getting weirder and weirder...

Thanks og. Just for fun, last night wanted to reboot at some point, and guess what? "shut down" was the only option available ("restart" and "log off" were inactive) o_O. It's getting weirder and weirder...

Sounds like your mobo's ACPI is messed up. Definitely update the BIOS. If that doesn't help, RMA it.

Well, just paid a visit to the store and dropped the comp at their door. As all my components were acquired from them (and they're all still under warranty until next month), let's see what they come up with. Frankly, I'm rather skeptical... Anyway, I will get back to you guys and confirm their findings. Thank you all for your time.

Back. Just got a call from the teckies from the store and, as no surprise to me, there's nothing wrong with my comp o_O I have to go down there and check it now. Maybe because I only have less than 1 month left until the warranty period is over? I wonder...

Or they genuinely didn't find anything wrong with it. There can be subtle problems with how a PC is situated - like the power it receives, or other devices near by. To the OP: do you use the system on a UPS or power strip rated for power surges? Or do you just have it on a $5 power tap from Walmart? Things to consider...

Hey guys. Dunno which one of you guys (og or cboucher) is right. In brief: the teckie claimed that: ran HW Monitor (while FurMark was running in parallel) for 16 hrs and nothing went wrong; he showed a print screen to me. Ran in my presence a new Memtest (same ver. that I used in my tests) with the new RAM (Corsair DDR3@1333), which came out clean (very odd; I have had 2 errors found in test #7).

As for the old RAM (DDR2 A-Data@800 Mhz Gaming Series), he said that also came out error free in Memtest (I had neither the time nor the patience to attend the test for that one also). According to the teckie, I should've manually set the voltage in BIOS because it's a gaming series and runs at a different voltage (written indeed on the dimm) than the regular RAM @800 Mhz. Whateva. He couldn't answer my common sense question re: explanation of flawless functioning for 2 yrs. despite the lack of the allegedly proper manual BIOS voltage setup?

Odd thing is that he didn't mention any BIOS tweaks to me (other than for the voltage thing for Memtest purposes of DDR2). I am pretty sure that something has been done because afterwards: (a) I had no boot issues, and (b) Win 7 installation latency (see my first post above) seemed to be gone (YAY!).

BUT: Because my precious game Medal of Honor 2010 stopped working right afterwards, I had to re-install Windows [due to a stupid (and tricky) counter-cheat software called Punkbuster required by the game, which went rogue and screwed up the multiplayer (long story - and irrelevant - with this Pbuster thing)]. Failed installation 5 times in a raw due to a new (to me) error:0x80070570 (occurred during the Windows expansion files).

Further, Windows failed to start properly due to (firstly) failure to find Idontknowwhat device (could that be a controller issue? therefore (again) the mobo?) and subsequently failed to find critical system drivers. Bottom line, I'm currently unable to make Windows start. I feel defeated.

Oh, and I don't use a UPS, but considering to get one, although the power taps I use for the comp are allegedly designed for such purposes, i.e. against power surges.

Now that I managed to restart noticed that the tech guy DID update the BIOS to the latest version, which was a BETA (F5a). Flashed BIOS to the version immediately preceding that BETA (F4). Now it works. Hope that's the end of it. It currently runs smooth. Not tested though. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom