Finding a psu replacement for my HP Pavilion a1230n

testman

Baseband Member
So my old psu died since it won't turn on and the green light in the back blinks with the power cord connected. The psu model that my computer uses is a Bestec ATX-300-12ZBD @ 300w which I found at this ebay store

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&item=380019859501#ht_1865wt_782

The thing is that I don't have a paypal account and I don't know anything about power supplies so I am afraid of buying a new different model that wont fit. Can anyone find a psu to use as a replacement via amazon or any other legit site? I got a frys close by as well but the site only lists new power supplies that cost upwards to 100 dollars.

you can go to almost any computer store and ask for a entry level ATX power supply of 300-400 watts.
It will be about 40 bucks depending on where you live.

"entry level power supply" isn't going to get the OP anything but a confused salesman and a return trip to the store.

The correct formfactor you need is MicroATX. Newegg sells them, as do a lot of stores, especially Best Buy, etc.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll head to frys and look around for a micro atx psu. I hope my mobo hasn't taken any damage. Should I stay at 300w or get something higher? Like would a 400w generate more heat? I'll probably install a cheap graphics card in the near future so I can play HD videos and some old games, so 400w looks good.

I hope my mobo hasn't taken any damage. Should I stay at 300w or get something higher?
Watts are what the ill informed view. Your concern is current for each voltage. For example, if the orignial 12 volts was 22 amps, then your new supply must also do 22 amps or higher.

In a market where so many computer assemblers know nothing about electricity, then many supplies missing essential functions are dumped into the market. Naive says a computer boots. Therefore that supply is fine. Nonsense due to insufficient knowledge. Essential functions are why power supplies cost at least $60 retail. Why a $25 supply can boot a computer - and be missing essential functions.

If your supply was from HP, then it would not damage the motherboard. One function so easily 'forgotten' when selling a cheaper supply with more watts to the naive.

It is the supply? Buy or borrow a multimeter to have an answer in less than a minute. (A meter typically costs less than a hammer.) Or just randomly replace parts until something works. Those with superior knowledge could say nothing because hard facts and numbers were not provided. Those without electrical knowledge will simply recommend shotgunning.

If your supply was from HP, then it would not damage the motherboard. One function so easily 'forgotten' when selling a cheaper supply with more watts to the naive.

It is the supply? Buy or borrow a multimeter to have an answer in less than a minute. (A meter typically costs less than a hammer.) Or just randomly replace parts until something works. Those with superior knowledge could say nothing because hard facts and numbers were not provided. Those without electrical knowledge will simply recommend shotgunning.

Where to start... HP is not immune to failed hardware. To say that they won't sell a power supply that will damage the motherboard is asinine. Power supplies can fail in any fashion, from the pitiful no-start issue, to a full blown (literally) elaborate explosion of sparks and smoke. The cheap ones more so than the better made ones, but HP is not exempt.

Dedicated power supply testers tend to do a fine job at testing power supplies, and if a buddy owns one, it's a good way to go.

Those without a superior-than-thou attitude on this forum can make recommendations based on information given. Only the naive assume that experienced techs cannot make recommendations on a forum. Computers are fortunately finite in their troubleshooting methodology.

Those without a superior-than-thou attitude on this forum can make recommendations based on information given.
Those educated in myth and lies will post insults that would only make Limbaugh proud. Those who learned technology know that a power supply tester will even report defective supplies as good. Do you believe those who never bothered to learn reality. And therefore post insults?

The informed instead select a supply on current for each voltage. And know that a power supply tester even reports defective supplies as good. Simple education makes obvious why power supply testers are sold to those most easily scammed - who also post insults rather than numbers.

A first indicator of one most easily scammed. Foolishly recommends a power supply tester only because advertising recommended it.

Back
Top Bottom