Recommendation on parts for gaming computer

Thanks for the recommendations, I will consider all
The reason why I listewd the two processors was because the I7 is the lowest of that line and the I5 is the high end of that line

I haven't considered AMD cause I am not to familiar with them, but maybe I should give them a shot

Thanks for the help
Mike

Just as a note, that link to the 12 core opteron was for Darkseeker, not you. So don't think that's what I was getting at. Why don't you give us a budget to work with and we'll help you pick out a comparable AMD system...

If you want to go with something now then go for the i7 rig. The parts you've picked out are spot on and will last you a while. Then when you fancy an upgrade later just swap out the GPU for a better model.

The 1156 i5's are being replaced this month with the Sandy Bridges which are looking to be great performers teamed with the P67 motherboards although might be a little bit more money than an i5 rig.

It really depends on your budget but if your mentioning an i7 platform then I can assume you have enough for a nice i5/P55 or the LGA1155 SB's/P67 rigs.

I just switched over to AMD after being only with Intel. I think overall AMD is cheaper...in price that is.

if you want a good system for a do-able price, especially when on a budget, AMD is a better choice. Intel are a bigger name and therefore have bigger prices. i.e. Most people could tell you that Intel are something to do with computers, not many people have heard of AMD really.

sorry for getting back late

my budget is in the range of $1100 to $1200, this does not include monitor, keyboard, mouse, or operating system

Having read a review on the latest LGA1155 Sandy Bridge CPU's and P67 boards it seems they seriously own the i7 9xx/X58 platforms! Seriously the only LGA1366 CPU that can keep up with them is the 6 core i7 980X and it costs 3 times more.

Wait a few weeks and go with a Sandy Bridge platform!

:)

Well I have looked at the 1155's on wikipedia and I had the I5 2500 as an option, but I wasnt sure on how fast some of the other compatible parts would be out, ie: motherboard and so on
It seems like asus and gigabyte already have them lined up, but they are just waiting on the release of the processor

I am able to wait asI am also saving money for my wedding at the same time so it isn't a huge rush

Having read a review on the latest LGA1155 Sandy Bridge CPU's and P67 boards it seems they seriously own the i7 9xx/X58 platforms! Seriously the only LGA1366 CPU that can keep up with them is the 6 core i7 980X and it costs 3 times more.

Wait a few weeks and go with a Sandy Bridge platform!

:)

Wait 2 days and go with Sandy Bridge I think you mean :)

Wouldn't a 850W PSU be over kill for both of those unless you are planning to crossfire or SLI later?

Back
Top Bottom