Haunted computer

Sioux

Solid State Member
Hi all!

Frequently (i.e. on a daily basis) encountering serious random issues with a PC with the following config: MB - GA EP43C-DS3 (Intel chipset P43); Processor Intel E8400 (@3GHz); Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512Mb); RAM 4G (Corsair DDR3 @1333MHz); HDD (x2) WD @ 1Tb; Soundcard Asus Xonar; running Win7 (x32).

A while ago the following issues have started to occur: blue screens and/or at each and every boot a driver is "lost" by the OS (e.g. printer, video, sound) and found following a restart. I have already changed a HDD and the RAM memory and re-installed Win7 a hundred times. Nothing have changed though. Issues still present.

Another thing I have noticed is that WIn7 installations take ages (at least for the first 2 screens)! Not sure whether this is or not related to the other issues.

Any ideas what could all this be? Any software I could use to test the damn machine? I could only guess that there might be another hardware piece to blame, but already have changed some of it based on my own guess (resulting into money down the drain).

While I was seriously considering an exorcist :p, was also hoping that could get some help from you computer literate ppl out there. BTW, I'm no teckie at all (just a lame user), therefore plain English would be enourmously appreciated.

Thx in advance.

What code is the BSOD giving you? Have you tried an OS besides Windows 7?

The install taking forever at the first two screens doesn't seem too uncommon. It happens whenever I reinstall on my HTPC and my gaming rig, but not the laptop.

Thanks for your prompt reply foothead. I'm not able to say anything about the code you asked me about. Like I said, those are not really Win errors, it's just that, for instance what happned last night, the comp booted in low res (like it does in safe mode) and simply asked me to install the video driver. As for the installation latency, I agree, whnever I've made an installation on my laptop [Win7(X64)] that long waiting period has not occured (yet).

That sounds like an issue with the motherboard to me. Next time it asks for a driver install, see if it will let you install the retail driver, but make sure you do not reboot. I have a feeling that it will give some sort of error because the hardware is not being detected properly. Also, make sure you check device manager before and after to compare it with a normal boot.

Unfortunately, that's about the best advice I can give. These issues tend to be very difficult to diagnose.

Had a hinch about the MB too, but as already mentioned, didn't want to throw more money before checking first with someone who knows what he's talking about. Forgot to mention: the RAM that I've changed only last week (AData DDR2 gaming) was tested with Memtest 86 and shown some 35,000 errors (seriously). That's why I had to change it. Haven't run the test on the new RAM yet (kinda fear that thought now). Do you think a bad MB could fry the RAM?

The motherboard could be causing the errors. The only way it could really fry it would be if it ran it way beyond stock voltages, which would require a messed up BIOS.

Test the new RAM and see if it happens again. If so, I'd say the issue is definitely the motherboard and you should just RMA it.

Back again. I've run Memtest 86 with the new RAM and found 2 errors in Test 7. Windows memory test found nothing wrong though. What now? Do I have to change the RAM as well?

I'm going to say no right now since you've tried different RAM according to the first few posts and my brain is still screaming MB. I would however try to update the BIOS for the motherboard. With luck some of the updates between the version on your board, and the new one, will fix the issues you are having.

Thanks, Celegorm. I'll give it a shot with the BIOS update and revert. Have a good one

Back
Top Bottom