32-bit Win 7 to 64-bit....key?

makenzie71

Solid State Member
I just bought an Inspiron 9100 and it came with 32-bit Windows 7 Pro already installed. Can I use the same activation key if I install 64-bit 7? I assume I can because when I bought a boxed copy of Windows 7 it only came with one key.

If so, how do I retrieve the activation key used on this copy of 7?

I just went through my win 7 pro box thoroughly and there was only one activation key. The key's have to work between 32/64 bit or separate keys would be included.

Thinking about it you will need a new license. I rebuilt my hp laptop with windows 7 64 bit (It came with windows 7 32 bit) and the serial that is on my hp laptop didnt work for the 64bit OS but did work on my 32bit OS

With all windows installs (except Starter and Home Basic) you get a key for both 32 and 64 bit. However, with OEM installs, it's different. I believe, but don't quote me on this, the key that you get is only good for the version that's installed. I could be wrong on that though, but I do know that if you purchase the retail copy, then it's good for both architectures.

Is a Windows 7 license key valid for both 32-bit and 64-bit?

Windows 7 Upgrade Activation Key - Are 32 bit & 64 bit Keys Interchangable?

activation key (32 and 64 bit)

will a 32 bit key work on a 64bit version - Windows 7 Forums

You find hit after hit on Microsoft's forum about. I don't know why it wouldn't have worked with your HP...based on what I've read you shouldn't have had any issues.

With all windows installs (except Starter and Home Basic) you get a key for both 32 and 64 bit. However, with OEM installs, it's different. I believe, but don't quote me on this, the key that you get is only good for the version that's installed. I could be wrong on that though, but I do know that if you purchase the retail copy, then it's good for both architectures.

I could see this being the case. The laptop I'm dealing with, though, was upgraded to Win 7 from XP...or wiped and had XP put on it. If I can retrieve the activation key I should be able to install the 64 bit version.

It is wise to check your motherboard specifications before buying windows 7 to see whether yours is 32bit or 64 bit, or if buying a new motherboard check ur current windows to see if its 32 bit or 64 bit. Trust me I've learnt my lesson by getting windows 7 32 bit and finding out my motherboard was 64 bit.

Best way is try to contact MS customer support. In my experience I have degraded the windows licence form windows 2008 to 2003 with the help of microsoft customer tech upport.

It is wise to check your motherboard specifications before buying windows 7 to see whether yours is 32bit or 64 bit, or if buying a new motherboard check ur current windows to see if its 32 bit or 64 bit. Trust me I've learnt my lesson by getting windows 7 32 bit and finding out my motherboard was 64 bit.

It's actually the CPU that needs to be 64bit...

Best way is try to contact MS customer support. In my experience I have degraded the windows licence form windows 2008 to 2003 with the help of microsoft customer tech upport.

What...??

Back
Top Bottom