Recommendation on parts for gaming computer

powerdyne6

Solid State Member
advice on a gaming computer

This is my first post and also my first computer build, I have been doing a little bit of research and I have come up with the following parts so far:

computer will be used for gaming

I7 Setup

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
Processor: Intel I7 950 Processor
Memory: Corsair XMS3 (3x2GB) or Kingston Hyper X (3x2GB)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 or 6870
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Quattro 850W or Corsair HX 850W

I5 Setup

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Processor: Intel I5 760 Processor
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) CL8 or CL9 (not sure on the difference)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD6850 or 6870
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Quattro 850W or Corsair HX 850W

If anyone has any comments or recommendations for me on the parts I have picked out so far that would be great

Mike

What's your budget? Are you an Intel fanboy, or are you open to AMD?

You're missing an HDD, ODD (optical disk drive; i.e. DVD), and an operating system.

I wouldn't even say it needs tweaking. I think AMD is side-by-side with Intel. Intel just does a better job of marketing and making fanboys out of people. If Intel's price/performance ratio would ever rival AMDs, I'd consider them as contenders in my life again, but until then, it's AMD for my clients and me, unless they specifically ask for Intel.

heh i have a friend who's an intel fanboy, his arguement is 'intel's fastest is faster than AMD's fastest' which is true, since AMD dont make server grade stuff that i know of. I also said 'Catalyst software is annoying' and he said 'i know so i dont use it'. /facepalm.

gotta love fanboys!

anyway, id go for the new 6-core Phenom over the intel stuff, since it has two more cores and the same cache sizes as the stated i5/i7 models. Id have got the hex if i hadnt already got the quad a week before they released it.

Thanks for the recommendations, I will consider all
The reason why I listewd the two processors was because the I7 is the lowest of that line and the I5 is the high end of that line

I haven't considered AMD cause I am not to familiar with them, but maybe I should give them a shot

Thanks for the help
Mike

Back
Top Bottom