Random Chit Chat

Rohan, go troll someone else on every one of there posts.

I have a Degree in Electronics

sure it can degrade, but if it degrades enough, you wolnt even have your screen working, SO it either WORKS or it DOSNT.

From what state university? Oh, wait. You got it from PTI. That's like bragging you got into community college.

You don't seem to know what you are talking about. Anything that degrades enough won't work. Have you not seen the millions of posts on the internet for 6 foot HDMI cables with "sparkles" and "weird color" dots on the screen.?

It all boils down to how the HDMI was put together and what materials it was made from.

Let me help you out here.

"It's important to understand just why, with HDMI, you can't just say "digital is digital, it either works or it doesn't"

To the poster, it matters what format you are using, what spec of cable, how long it's going to be, etc.

How should I go about improving the signal quality of analog cable? I just got it hooked up in my room and the picture quality is terrible. Cox scrambles all the "free" digital channels and they put them in the 1000+ range so I cannnot get it working without paying them $7 a month.

Also, what's a good cooler for a 4850 x2? Most are too wide to fit on both cores.

either will work,

As HDMI is a digital signal, its either the signal makes it, or it dosnt, its all + or - voltage values, like clock pulses, so it will make it. it wolnt slowly peter out like an analog signal.

I know. Just wanted to make sure. I know that at some point the connection will start to drop and you need a repeater, just wasn't sure.

You are wrong. But don't worry that is a pretty common misconception. Digital signals are a bit more complex than that. There is more to it than "it either gets there or it doesn't."

Take a look at this.
Long HDMI Cable Bench Tests - Monster Cable Shootout — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Rohan, go troll someone else on every one of there posts.

I have a Degree in Electronics

sure it can degrade, but if it degrades enough, you wolnt even have your screen working, SO it either WORKS or it DOSNT.

From what state university? Oh, wait. You got it from PTI. That's like bragging you got into community college.

You don't seem to know what you are talking about. Anything that degrades enough won't work. Have you not seen the millions of posts on the internet for 6 foot HDMI cables with "sparkles" and "weird color" dots on the screen.?

It all boils down to how the HDMI was put together and what materials it was made from.

Let me help you out here.

"It's important to understand just why, with HDMI, you can't just say "digital is digital, it either works or it doesn't"

To the poster, it matters what format you are using, what spec of cable, how long it's going to be, etc.

Okay. This sh!t storm can end now. I'll moderate this little tussle since I was the one who fielded the question. Let me rephrase some things: 1) I'm not a ratard. Yes, rAtard. I know that digital isn't just "it is or it isn't", but I'm smart enough to know what Sniper was talking about. You either get a good picture or you get no picture or a sh!tty one--sparklies, artifacts, etc. I also realize that it depends on the quality of the cable. Well, I don't go around looking for the sh!ttiest quality cables to post questions about. I'm not a ratard, as I previously mentioned. I also know that Monster and every other company that charges way too much isn't cracked up to what they say they are...they may be good quality but the price/performance ration is completely whacked and no one in their right mind, minus Hugh Hefnor and video/audiophiles buy their crap. Therefore, I have been through Newegg, Monoprice, BJC (blue jeans cable), and a few other sites to price and review HDMI. I had it narrowed down to the two that I found and posted--they were in the same price range. I was leaning toward the Monoprice cable as their cables are high quality--I have many of them. Though, I may back it down to the next size smaller gauge as it does seem a bit bulky to run through the basement, but who knows.

So, at the end of all this, all I really wanted to know what: with a higher quality cable, what's the average max length you can expect to use before getting signs of degradation such as sparkles and artifacts, or no signal at all (without using a repeater, of course)? From my experience in looking at multiple reviews and sites, it's upwards of 35-40 feet. Since I'll be right at that length,I wanted the opinion of someone else, which is why I asked.

So: everyone can stop their trolling and insulting.

like i said either will do as there both good quality cables.

and i figured you knew what i meant by what i said considering you do belong to CF for so long, so i had a feeling you'd have a slight tech insight lol. They always say you should address questions at the level of intelligence your peers are.

and to ME, i always have a rule that id never go past 40, but thats myself.

LMAO.

But yes, they both look high quality, but since Amazon doesn't state any in-depth specs about that cable, other than it's sheathed and shielded nicely, I'll probably grab the Monoprice one since I can attest to the quality of their other cables. I'm surprised Newegg couldn't beat the price, actually. Kinda odd. They are becoming hit and miss on non-fundamental parts/accessories nowadays.

Reminds me, I gotta call customer service tomorrow and get an RMA for my Sammy HDD in my laptop. BSOD'd on me over Christmas break, ran a ESTool scan (my God...that is reason enough that I'll NEVER buy another Sammy hard drive...) and it threw a fit at about 50% in the surface scan. I originally submitted an RMA on the site, but I didn't know they pre-approved and I don't plan on paying to ship it back. I've spent so many thousands on their site, they can foot the UPS bill both ways. I'm going to use packing as an excuse again. A-holes. They pack stuff like crap now. But yes, ESTool...reason enough to not buy a Sammy. Why? Well, let's put it this way: 1) couldn't get it work on DVD nor CD, 2) couldn't run it off UBCD, 3) couldn't run it off bootable flash drive...FINALLY gave up and ran it on a bootable MS-DOS floppy connected through USB. Boy was that fun. Booted, executed the program, and literally took TEN MINUTES before it started. I had thought it froze. Piece a crap programming on their part. And it's a widespread issue. I'm going back to WD. The only reason I got it is because it was the only 2.5" 640GB on the market. I learned my lesson.

Guys, I'm officialy back! XD
It's been what? 2 years? I don't even know most of you *new* people >_>

Okay. This sh!t storm can end now. I'll moderate this little tussle since I was the one who fielded the question. Let me rephrase some things: 1) I'm not a ratard. Yes, rAtard. I know that digital isn't just "it is or it isn't", but I'm smart enough to know what Sniper was talking about. You either get a good picture or you get no picture or a sh!tty one--sparklies, artifacts, etc. I also realize that it depends on the quality of the cable. Well, I don't go around looking for the sh!ttiest quality cables to post questions about. I'm not a ratard, as I previously mentioned. I also know that Monster and every other company that charges way too much isn't cracked up to what they say they are...they may be good quality but the price/performance ration is completely whacked and no one in their right mind, minus Hugh Hefnor and video/audiophiles buy their crap. Therefore, I have been through Newegg, Monoprice, BJC (blue jeans cable), and a few other sites to price and review HDMI. I had it narrowed down to the two that I found and posted--they were in the same price range. I was leaning toward the Monoprice cable as their cables are high quality--I have many of them. Though, I may back it down to the next size smaller gauge as it does seem a bit bulky to run through the basement, but who knows.

So, at the end of all this, all I really wanted to know what: with a higher quality cable, what's the average max length you can expect to use before getting signs of degradation such as sparkles and artifacts, or no signal at all (without using a repeater, of course)? From my experience in looking at multiple reviews and sites, it's upwards of 35-40 feet. Since I'll be right at that length,I wanted the opinion of someone else, which is why I asked.

So: everyone can stop their trolling and insulting.

Remember it's a public forum. A lot of people have the same questions you do. Just because we may know what the other members on this website are talking about doesn't mean that everyone will. I was just trying to help and I backed up my points with viable evidence.

Guys, I'm officialy back! XD
It's been what? 2 years? I don't even know most of you *new* people >_>

Stratos! How is it going? The last time I talked to you was when we played Source, haha.

Back
Top Bottom