Random Chit Chat

Just found out I have to right click it and click view image to see it's actual size.

Sooooo.

I need a 40' HDMI cable.
I'm thinking either this or this. I'm thinking the heavier gauge from Monoprice will have a better picture quality and less chance of dropping the signal. I know 40' is almost pushing it (cutoff for HDMI is around 50' from reading various reviews), but it looks like quality. It'll be used at my Uncle's...we need to hook up his computer to his TV so he can actually make use of his netflix. It'll be run through the basement and back up to the TV.

We'll try RCC one more time. I didn't want to clutter up anything with this if I didn't have to.

either will work,

As HDMI is a digital signal, its either the signal makes it, or it dosnt, its all + or - voltage values, like clock pulses, so it will make it. it wolnt slowly peter out like an analog signal.

either will work,

As HDMI is a digital signal, its either the signal makes it, or it dosnt, its all + or - voltage values, like clock pulses, so it will make it. it wolnt slowly peter out like an analog signal.

I know. Just wanted to make sure. I know that at some point the connection will start to drop and you need a repeater, just wasn't sure.

Random story time!

A couple hours ago, I decided to throw my new gx2 into the htpc so I'd have something to do. So I unplugged the htpc, removed its video card, and installed the gx2. I then plugged all the cords back in, flipped the power switch on the psu, asd turned the computer on. No video. I powered it down and tried again. Still no video. I decided that I must have forgotten a cable or misseated the video card, so I unplug the hdmi cable, and it shocks me. It wasn't a wimpy static shock either, this had some serious current. Really confused, I touch it again. It shocked me again. I finished unplugging the computer, then grabbed a multimeter. I measured the voltage of the hdmi cable to the ground in a wall plug. It registered as 0. Then I tested it to the ground of the pc power cable. 38 volts! I checked all the wiring, and found this atrocity plugged between the UPS and the wall:

2011-01-01064432.jpg

My dad had broken the ground pin off a 120V extension and used it with a 2 prong household extension cord. This caused the gound to float to the 38 volts I was seeing. At this point, I was kinda freaking out because that was more than enough current to do some really bad things to a video card. I lugged the htpc into my bedroom and plugged it into my tv. No picture. I then plugged it into a monitor through a vga cable. Still no picture. I took the card out to see if the rest of the computer survived. It booted up fine. Out of desperation, I put my card back in to try it again. No video. fml. Then I pushed the reset button and the bios splash screen popped up. I tried again and it still worked. YAY! I have since booted the computer up six times, and I have gotten video every time. I still have so idea why it decided to start working again, but it works so I really don't care.

In case anyone's wondering, yes I did rage at my dad.

Good that it still works.

The Steam Holiday Sale ends tomorrow right? Which means today is the last day to buy anything for the price and no more daily deals tomorrow?

I had something like that happen last year to my computer but the video was all green. I don't know what happened but it was after a bad storm in which the power went out but I removed my video card and booted and it looked fine but with the card everything including the boot splash screen looked green so I removed and reseated the card again and it worked thank god. My computer was plugged in to a cheap 20$ power strip which I don't know if it protects against surges

either will work,

You are wrong. But don't worry that is a pretty common misconception. Digital signals are a bit more complex than that. There is more to it than "it either gets there or it doesn't."

Take a look at this.
Long HDMI Cable Bench Tests - Monster Cable Shootout — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Rohan, go troll someone else on every one of there posts.

I have a Degree in Electronics

sure it can degrade, but if it degrades enough, you wolnt even have your screen working, SO it either WORKS or it DOSNT.

Back
Top Bottom