Death of a Gateway ...

Justadude

Beta member
Good morning everybody

I have been trying now for a couple of days to figure out whats wrong with this computer with no luck so, I'm reaching out for help before I throw it out the window ....

The computer is a Gateway® GT5670
Gateway Official Site: Gateway® GT5670

When I was first brought this computer she told me it would power up but there was no display, my first thought was the integrated graphic card so I replaced the graphic card, When I went to put in the new card and pulled the side cover off I was simply amazed by the amount of filth, crud and nicotine coating the inside of the box...

After a quick clean-up I popped in the new card and and powered it up, still no display..
So I pulled the battery to reset the BIOS, cleaned the nicotine off the base of the battery,pulled and cleaned the RAM and checked all connections to ensure a snug fit.

AFter this it was back in business and I was getting display till she picked it up and took it home, no display again ...

Last night I pulled the CPU and took a closer look it it, sure enough full and covered in gunk so, I cleaned up it. I had noticed the lack of heat-sink compound. She told me her husband had pulled it at some point and cleaned it up.

Long story short here is where I'm at :

When I have it all put together and power it up, , the blue power indicator light on the face of the Gateway does not light up, if I hit the power button to turn off the computer it will not turn off and there is no display, the fans are all running ..

When I pulled out all of the RAM and power it up, I get no beeps at all..
I tried swapping the RAM around and still I get nothing...

I did notice the other day when I had it up and running the CPU fan was revving up to high RPS and back down again continuously with it just sitting there...

I'm wondering if maybe the problem could be with the power button itself ??
I just find it interesting the after it turns on , by pushing the power button it will not turn off.... maybe a short ??

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this ....

James

Well with no beeping when the RAM was pulled , coupled with the over heating issues ( fan revving up and down ) I'm thinking you may be right ...
The only other thing I can think of is and its a long shot would be a faulty PSU ... however the motherboard is getting power so ...

Nevertheless when you factor everything together
The husband removing the heat-sink compound...
Crud, dust and tar from nicotine caking the inside suffocating the CPU ...

Sounds like a cruel death actually, I should report the owner to Computer Welfare Services ...lol

Does it beep at all on post could be the internal speaker is not connected or dead as well. This sounds like the motherboard is dying on you and its probably a good idea to kill it off or get a replacement board but with its age i would not reccomend the money being spent on it..

It does nothing at all...

If I could find a board for say $50. I may replace it for her but as you said, due to its age and ongoing problems it may just be a waste of money...
After seeing the condition of her CPU, it makes me wonder if I did replace the board if it would go next ... just a money sucking machine ..

Thanks for the reply

Back
Top Bottom