Computer died and it was my fault

rezblue

Beta member
My computer died a few weeks back because Im assuming, I left it on for 3 weeks straight. One day I decided to turn it off and give it a rest, and the next day I hit the power switch and nothing happened. There is no power what so over.

I figured it is the power supply that is burned out. Before I go buy a new one I just wanted to check here and make sure that is the case. If this sounds about right to any of you.

Thanks

It sounds like a power supply but it seems odd that it would die like that when you turned it off after running for 3 weeks. Running that long wouldn't have had anything to do with it going bad.

Does your motherboard have a power light on it? If it does, you can check that to see if the motherboard is getting power or not. If the light is out then the motherboard isn't getting power and I would say it's definitely a power supply. Just to check some things, you didn't accidentally flip a switch on a power strip or on the back of the power supply did you? Just a thought of something to check, stuff like that happens sometimes.

But I'm betting it's the power supply, I would go ahead and buy one and try it.

On the back of the power supply there is a little green light that is on. Other than that there is nothing. Does that mean the power supply is fine and its a motherboard issue?

On the back of the power supply there is a little green light that is on. Other than that there is nothing. Does that mean the power supply is fine and its a motherboard issue?
No, that means that the power supply is getting power from the outlet, that light should always be on.

The light I'm talking about is on the motherboard itself and indicates that the motherboard is getting power.

Just a quick little thing to try before going out and buying a new power supply.

Unplug the power cord from the computer.
Hold down the power button for 20 seconds.
Plug it back in and give it a go.

I've had this happen to a couple computers.

Back
Top Bottom