Just don't turn it off!

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I just got a pc from a friend of mine that does something strange...if you turn it off, it won't come back on for a half hr or so. If you restart, it's fine but if it gets shutdown (or the power goes out like happened last week...), it usually won't come back on for a while. The power light on the mb goes off and everything. That's how I tell when it's ready to come back on...lol...I look through the case window and when the mb light is back on, I know I'm good to go. Then it works perfectly fine.

Only thing I can think of is that the psu is on the outs. Agreed? Seems like quite a strange symptom for a failing psu.

Oh...and, if it matters, it's an intel core 2 quad, asus (p5n-d, I want to say) mb, 4 gb ram...not sure what kind of psu.

It's annoying...every time you shut it down, which believe me isn't often, you have to wait an undisclosed amount of time for it to decide to come back on. I just put a new hdd in it, which I shut it down to do of course, and now I'm waiting for it to want to work again. Grrr...

Bummer. I guess you could either replace the PSU or install a linux OS so you don't have to reboot as often. lol

I do too. This is the first time it's been off since the power went out a couple weeks ago and hadn't been off since initial turn on when I got it home before that. It's still off, too. And, of course I am leaving town...like...now so it's taking it's sweeeeeet ol time...looks like I'm not going to get to try my new vnc set up while in la...lame.

My Imac G3 did this, except it wouldnt turn on until it was schedueled to at exactly 6AM everyday, talk about a wake up call. It wont turn on either, created a ghettotosch G3 to find it worked when plugged into my dell's 250W.the psu was bad...

it sounds as if if an overheating problem in the psu check to see if the built in fans in the psu are working

Back
Top Bottom