Windows XPE project

winslow33

Daemon Poster
I know this might be a far out project, but I have an old xbox classic that hasnt been used for a few years so bear with me.

I've seen that linux can be installed on the xbox (it's relatively easy now, Ive done) and it's been done by booting off a cd that initializes a linux kernel and it takes off from there (it's little more complicated than that, but you get the point)

Theoretically, all someone has to do is make an xbe file that would initialize the Windows XPE kernel and from there it would take off and run the OS from the CD. Even farther down the line maybe someone could make it so that the OS boots from the hard drive.

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to actually figure out how to build an XBE file let alone a boot loader for the XBOX. So I throw this idea out to all you smart guys surfin around here that might like to help me give it a shot.

now think for a moment guys,. what does embedded mean?
it means that some sort of a variation or built of windows XP is loaded onto a ROM chip.. something as small as an 8 or 16 meg rom chip.
i know for a fact that embedded XP can be made with ONLY network, Video and the most bare necessities of windows. and guess what? on an Athlon XP 1800 it is at the windows desktop before your monitor even turns on. the system will boot and have a fully function network, desktop, and WHATEVER else you decide to load. in a matter of 3 seconds or less.
and fast ? dear lord in heaven.
until you see a PC loaded with a custom build of Embedded, you have no CLUE what the real windows XP can do.

picture having windows install like linux. you can pick and choose every single god damn thing you want. from only the bare MINIMUM that allows it to run,, to everything and including the kitchen sink. so its sloppy and slow (just like XP is now)

believe me. if this is possible,, its going to take XP Embedded to do it.

Might sound kind of pointless and crazy sure, but can anyone help out here?

Thanks

I've seen xboxes running older versions of Windows, usually 98 or 2000, so it's definitely possible. I really cannot help you much though.

Sounds like a cool project. Why though?

Sounds like a cool project. Why though?

I have an old xbox sittin around I hardly ever use... might as well have some use out of it...
I also have a licence for Windows Embedded Studio so I can create XPE intallations in about 20 minutes :p

Back
Top Bottom