Belkin modem/router - seem to have messed things up

MargaretB

Beta member
I am new to this forum and I have an urgent problem, which is long, sorry. Some months ago I set up a Belkin modem/router ADSL on my daughter's internet. It set up all right, but it did not tell me how to secure the network, so I left it with the ethernet cable plugged in. Now my grandson is home and has been using his laptop connected via wireless, so I wanted to add a security code. I looked up the router's address, went in to apply a password, got the wrong bit and applied a password to the admin bit by mistake. Got home, and was told that the internet no longer worked. Easy enough to fix, I thought. Went back into the router, reset factory defaults, rebooted the router, unplugged and replugged absolutely everything, but still the ADSL light will not stop flashing orange. It is all plugged in ok and I don't know whether I have caused this or whether it is a coincidence. I cannot find anywhere on Belkin's website which actually tells me what this means, so does anybody know? Sorry it is so long, but I have spent hours this afternoon trying to make it work and now think the only solution is to go buy a new router.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Can you plug directly into the modem and get a signal or is this an all in one box that serves both purposes? How did you reset the router to factory default to just ensure it was done correctly. Also have you started by unplugging the modem/router for about 5 minutes and then plugging the modem in let it get reset and then plug the router in and see what happens? let me know what happens when you do the above..

Hi, thanks for answering. It is an all in one modem/router, so can't connect at all without it. I tried unplugging it and leaving it. I went into the router page and clicked on restore factory defaults.

Ususally there is a button on the back of the device that says reset. Hold this down for about 20 seconds and it should reset it the hardway back to the way it came out of the box as often times the software hard reset doesnt work as well.

I think what you may have done was change the password to your ISP connection. You may need to contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and get the password that should go in that field. When you change the admin password on the router, that will not affect your connection settings at all so I would lean strongly towards you accidentally changing the password to connect to the ISP. This is probably a long shot, but you wouldn't happen to still have the welcome letter that you received from your ISP when you first got the internet with the initial setup steps would you? I know for my ISP, my connection password is on that welcome letter, but you can always call and get that password from them.

Also, to secure your wireless network, you'll want to look for WPA/WPA2 settings on the wireless setup page. This is the setting that will require a passphrase to connect to the wireless network.

Since you defaulted the router you have to reprogram it from scratch.
IP address
Subnet address
Gateway address
DNS server addresses
You get those from your ISP. Once you get it back up and running go through the router programming and write down the info for programming it. In the future if you have to default the router you have what you need to get back up and running.

Back
Top Bottom