Random Chit Chat

Foothead, im not flashing bios on a 5850 lol. i dont want to fool with it.

and i doubt a 5850 would be able to play any game at high settings, a 5870 only got 35Fps in HAWX at that rez.

go Big or GTFO in my opinion.

THOUGH if you can find me some benchmarks to prove a Elcheepo Powercolor 5850 could handle it on triple 22s/24s i would be be happy to see. and perhaps save me $

EDIT 2:

this is my current Exact monitor.
Westinghouse LCM-22W3 22in Flat Panel LCD Monitor - CowBoom Store

i beleive this is as identical as i can find spec wise as to match my current screen so then id only have to get 2 monitors, to cut down on cost.

Newegg.com - ASUS VW225T Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 8000 :1 (ASCR) Built-in Speakers

I'd get two 5850s is what I meant. Buy one right away, then get a second one after you get the monitors. A single 5850 or 5870 won't get you the uber settings.

That ASUS monitor looks nice, but really what will make the difference is how well you can get them calibrated. All the monitors will need to have color, brightness, contrast, etc. pretty closely matched for it to look right. It can definitely be done, but it will take quite a while to get it perfect.

Go with the D955XCS. It has two PCI-E slots.

So you can add another card at a later date for more PPD's!

I'm just gonna swap out my 9500GT for a GTX 460 and stick the 9500GT in my second machine.

I'll catch you up! :D

That's what I was thinking, but I forsee trouble with the second slot running at x4.

LOL, Good luck catching up. I'm running six clients atm, and I still have yet to install it on the HTPC at my dad's house. So that makes another three clients (one on each GPU plus the CPU) and the two I will get from the folding rig whenever that gets done.

Does a folding rig need more than 2gb of ram?

Nope. It needs very little for GPU folding, but you will have trouble with the larger CPU work units without lots of RAM.

EDIT: I just bought supplies. I ended up going with the D955XCS, a Pentium 4 HT 521, 2 256MB DDR2 DIMMS, and some chinese 775 cooler. I am going to throw in a 20GB PATA HDD, a bestec PSU, and my old 8800 GS. Not bad for $40.

EDIT2: Just found a 120GB 7200.7. Even better.

LOL, Good luck catching up. I'm running six clients atm, and I still have yet to install it on the HTPC at my dad's house. So that makes another three clients (one on each GPU plus the CPU) and the two I will get from the folding rig whenever that gets done.

Gee thanks for the support! lol

Hey foothead. Can I run my 8400GS with my 9500GT?

They'll do until I upgrade.

So I have to use a dummy load then? Can't I just plug it in and use it? I've got 2 screens running of the 9500GT.

Yeah, that'll work. The OS just needs to detect it as having a monitor before it'll let you use it.

What should I make my ghetto folding rig case out of?I've got a few Dell cases lying around but I doubt any are big enough to house a full size BTX board.

Gaa! Tried it but one, or both i'm not sure, fans run at 100%!!! It's too loud.

I'd probably put something together out of wood and metal.

Back
Top Bottom