Ready Boost

detox1

Daemon Poster
This is sort of a mix between software and hardware.

The ReadyBoost option that Windows7 and I thing Vista has. does it work?
I mean, is it worth plugging in a spare 4GB Flash Drive. How much of a 'Boost' is there?
And is there a way to test its performance? now that I think about it, i'm going to google it right now.

I've heard from some friends at school that it's at least noticeable. Never personally used it though.

What it does is index your harddrive on the flash drive. It's not a huge boost, I've never really seen a difference, but then again I've always had pretty fast harddrives.
(I'm only roughly sure of that, it's been a while since I've heard about ReadyBoost :p)

I've been using it for a few days now. and I think on average it speeds up some things and not others.
For instance, load times between game menus and online map changes, I think is a bit faster.
But I haven't noticed anything for web browsing of regular windows operations.

It was one of the many jokes included in vista and its not even heavily marketed anymore becuase it didnt really do much for a computer. I tried it with a spare 8gig i had and it didnt really help much..

I have had the opportunity to dabble with Ready Boost. My opinion, disable it. It's not helpful at all.

Most of the time, the only time you'll see a noticeable difference is on ancient hardware--bad RAM and a terrible HDD.

Here's how to disable it, if you weren't already aware.

Because Microsoft rolled readyboost and superfetch all into one service now, it's a little trickier than just disabling the service. You want to keep superfetch on, however at the same time get rid of readyboost. Unless you do a registry edit to remove the readyboost software, which if you request I can post for you, I would recommend disabling it individually for each device you plug in. I know it sounds like a pain (especially if you have like 40 HDDs similar to me), however it's the simplest and most effective way to disable it quickly.

With the device connected, go to My Computer. Right-click and select Properties. From there navigate to the ReadyBoost tab and select the option to Do Not Use with this Device.

Hopefully this helps =)

Back
Top Bottom