TV Tuners and Remote Desktop

Do you have any experience using a remote desktop, either for video/games or regular use?

Yes, I've attempted watching video just over a LAN via remote desktop and VLC and both were unwatchable. I'm guessing gaming would be much worse due to the timing issues. Have you considered a slingbox for TV viewing?

Yes, I've attempted watching video just over a LAN via remote desktop and VLC and both were unwatchable. I'm guessing gaming would be much worse due to the timing issues. Have you considered a slingbox for TV viewing?

I had very briefly considered it, but it's really far more money than I want to spend on this project. The only reason I want to be able to watch TV is again, for my favorite sports team. If I'm going to start spending that much money I'd just buy a subscription to MLB TV for a month or two for the time that I won't be home to watch, and it won't be nearly as expensive. I don't care about gaming so much; I used to be an avid gamer but I don't miss it too much at school. It would just be a nice bonus. I'd definitely get a Slingbox if I could get it for an incredibly good deal somewhere, but the chances of that are slim.

Do you think that it could be attributed to a cheaper TV tuner card or software that isn't as good?

no its a good card
it has nothing to do with the card

you can try this https://secure.logmein.com/UK/

im not to sure if the video will be watchable theo using a remote desktop ??

no its not
everytime i log in with logmein.com i dont see my desktop wallpaper
so there isnt enough bandwidth to even show that much less watch tv over your remote desktop
no if it was a recorded program
all you have to do is go into your public docs/tv shows/
and click and drag it to what ever machine your using then play it with WMP
and your good
as for streaming live............ no
not with logmein.com
with logmein.com it has to go from your pc > modem > internet server > modem > current pc
if both machines offer it
you could use windows built-in remote desktop feature
and try that
but im not sure how well that would work
it should be slightly better if you are on the same network i.e. the same house
but if you are trying to run it over the web to a different place (city, state, or country)
you would be better off just downloading it to your pc from the other, then watching
there will be much less lag
less latency in the network
and less servers or even routers/switches to go through

Hm, alright then. I'll have to see what happens. I'm supposed to be getting my lappy back today so I'll test a few different programs and see if any of them work reasonably well.

if i was you i would just make sure that the folder that the recorded tv shows are saved to is shared
then use the remote desktop
any of them should work
and copy them from one pc to the other
and watch them on the other pc
the one not with the tv tuner card
then delete them from your tv tuner enabled pc

Again, the biggest thing is that I'm really only going to be using it for baseball games, so recording them would kind of defeat the purpose. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll see how it goes when I get my laptop back!

Back
Top Bottom