Having a lot of trouble with Boot and Windows 7

dbone

Baseband Member
I started having boot issues that I traced to a bug in AVG free edition. I was unable to correct the problem by the normal methods. Since I have only had Windows 7 Ultimate on the computer for approximately 2 months and everything was backed up I would do a clean install and start over. That is where things got pretty bad.

I have read a lot about "bootmgr missing" which is a problem I am having. When I select to boot from the Windows disc I attempted to repair the disc with no success. I attempted to do a clean install and I believe the error message stated that something along the lines of my E drive being corrupted. After attempting several times to re-install windows I am no longer able to boot from my DVD drive with the windows disk.

So now I am stuck with what to do. I am unable to boot from my disc drive and when attempting to boot from my hard drive I get the run around of "bootmgr missing". What should I do?

Do you have a USB Harddrive or thumbdrive that you can use to install Windows with? After taking steps to make the removable media bootable, you can copy the Windows installation files over and boot from that.

Sorry for the delay. I was not able to work on the PC for the past couple of weeks.

I was able to get the computer to boot from my USB drive. The first attempt led me to the hard drive where it asked where I wanted to install Windows. After a couple of minutes it took me to the blue screen that read "BAD_POOL_HEADER" along with the normal stuff about starting in safe mode and removing new programs that could be causing the problems. I tried again and it goes straight to the blue screen after booting. Any other ideas?

I was able to get back to Windows installation. I try to install and get this message - "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570

Boot from your USB drive again, preferably with a copy of Windows XP on it this time. Run the Repair Wizard and get to the command prompt. From there, run "scandisk" and do a thorough scan to see if there are issues with the HD itself.

What files would I need for the XP OS and where is the best place to get those. Windows 7 was easy with WinToFlash and me having a Windows 7 disc. I am a hardware guy mostly so sorry for the simple questions.

To my knowledge, you would need an original Windows XP disc, so if you know anyone that happens to still have one...
OR
You can try Ultimate Boot CD, it's a free boot CD that contains MANY HDD diagnostic tools

Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

Back
Top Bottom