How to install a GPU on a motherboard that already has onboard?

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
im pretty new to installing graphics cards, especially on PCs with onboards already. I know i have to turn the onboard 'off' but im not sure how. In the BIOS graphics options, i have 4 options.

GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI

GPP-GFX0-IGFX-PCI

PCI-GFXO-GPP-IGFX

IGFX-GFXO-GPP-PCI

the manual translates as the following

GFXO = Primary video controller on a PCI-e x16 slot

GPP = Primary video controller on a PCI-e x1 slot

IGFX = onboard video display output

PCI = Primary video controller on a PCI slot.

it also says that the default setting is 'GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI'

am i correct in assuming that i can just install the new gpu without changing this, since the GFX0 is already above the onboard in the priority chain?

Search for device manager in your search bar in start (7 and Vista), and open Device Manager. Now, your chipset is normally in display adapters, click that and your should see it (for example, mine says Radeon HD4250)

Right click the display adapter you wish to disable, choose disable.

Merry christmas also..

well its never a simple install is it, time for troubleshooting.

basically, i installed a new gpu (sapphire 5770) and a new psu (Coolermaster GX650). When i turned the computer on, i get the usual boot stuff, but nothing on the screen. I took the gpu and psu out and set up the system exactly as i had done before, but nothing on the screen again. I took out the memory to see if it was reaching POST and predictable it beeped like a maniac. So, it is booting but im seeing nothing on the screen. I tried resetting CMOS (removed and reseated the battery as well as clearing the jumper) and i also tried removing all peripherals except those neccessary to boot (only the boot hard drive and DVD/bluray disconnected. etc.)

Im still getting nothing. it occured to me thinking about it that i may have forgotten to actually 'disable' the onboard (AMD 760G) graphics in the OS, instead i just confirmed that the PCI-e x16 (GFX0) ws above the onboard chip in the list of primary graphics sources. This has me stumped tbh, ive never run into this before, and i call upon one of you lovely people for aid here. Anyone have any ideas?

cheers in advance.

Remove all the current drivers, disable the 760g chipset in device manager, install the 5770 drivers then put the new card in. Have you tried that?

Before you get all drastic on drivers, if there's nothing displaying on the screen, that says that the drivers aren't the problem.

Here's the steps I would take:

1) Perform a CMOS reset. Take the battery out for 5 minutes with the PC unplugged if you want to be absolutely certain. Mash the power button for a few seconds at a time if you want to be ornery about it.
2) Connect your PC again and set it up as it was prior to the GPU upgrade
3) Turn the system on. Does it POST? Can you get into the BIOS? It should go without saying at this point, but make sure you've got your monitor connected to the onboard video
4) If you don't have video at this point, turn the system off and unplug it. Hold in the power button for 5 seconds, then let go. Plug it back in and turn it on. Still no display, possible ESD discharge killed something
5) If you do get video at this point, go into the BIOS and set it up so that you've got the PCIe slot initializing first. As vinman said, it shouldn't be necessary - 99.99998% of boards today will autoswitch for you
6) If you can't get any video with the addin card installed, leave the system on, and swap the monitor cable to the onboard and the addin board until you get video. If you don't get video from either one, again, possibly an ESD discharge killed something

It doesn't get much more complex than that. Just watch your butt with ESD. If you don't know what ESD is, Google/YouTube it.

i already had my esd wrist strap on when i took the gpu out of the box and kept it on until i had the system set up again, and was working on an ESD mat, not sure what the effectiveness of the mat is but ive never esd-murdered anything else before and my pc is self built.

ill try out all that tonight, xmas getting in the way of my computer. argh :p

Eck. Sounds like you've got most of the precautions set up then. I usually don't work on my PC with a wrist strap, but I always ground myself out on another PC that is turned on (and grounded) before I do my work. Even with ESD straps on, if you shuffle your feet during an install, it can still go butt-up. I hope you isolate the problem soon.

i just noticed something on my mobo that ive not seen before, next to the PS/2 ports, a bit further down again, and next to the USB bus, there are three more sets of what look like jumpers (3 pins with a jacket over two).

any idea what these might be for?

Back
Top Bottom